Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 Landmark or new POD+Poweramp

NancyJohnson

I need a bit of advice. Looking to start upgrading gear in the next couple of weeks (yes Gary, the time has come), so here goes.

I've been thinking about piggybacking the new POD X3 Pro (due September) onto a stereo poweramp, but in the last couple of days though, the waters have been clouded somewhat - I've been reading up about the Tech 21 Landmark 300 head and have listened to the sound samples on their website. I like what I'm hearing and what I've read so far, but I can find scant info on UK sellers. I'm looking to run either setup into a 4x10 and a 1x15 (both Ashdown MAGs for now).

I know the POD isn't available yet, but I'm thinking with the Tech 21 I get a 2U* rack unit (and presumably a very close version of the Geddy/Chris Squire clank which I want) plus no loading backache. The POD/Amp combo will be 5U rack of POD/Amp. At the end of the day I figure if I need to run a guitar, I have a guitar POD, so I'll use that, dispensing with the new POD

So who has a Landmark 300? Any good? Does it fit a standard 19" rack? I'm going to be mighty pissed if it can't cut the mustard.
P
(or confused of Crowthorne)

*Edit...make that a 3U rack - I'd have to factor in a tuner as well.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='241354' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:06 PM']I need a bit of advice. Looking to start upgrading gear in the next couple of weeks (yes Gary, the time has come), so here goes.

I've been thinking about piggybacking the new POD X3 Pro (due September) onto a stereo poweramp, but in the last couple of days though, the waters have been clouded somewhat - I've been reading up about the Tech 21 Landmark 300 head and have listened to the sound samples on their website. I like what I'm hearing and what I've read so far, but I can find scant info on UK sellers. I'm looking to run either setup into a 4x10 and a 1x15 (both Ashdown MAGs for now).

I know the POD isn't available yet, but I'm thinking with the Tech 21 I get a 2U rack unit (and presumably a very close version of the Geddy/Chris Squire clank which I want) plus no loading backache. The POD/Amp combo will be 5U rack of POD/Amp. At the end of the day I figure if I need to run a guitar, I have a guitar POD, so I'll use that, dispensing with the new POD

So who has a Landmark 300? Any good? Does it fit a standard 19" rack? I'm going to be mighty pissed if it can't cut the mustard.
P
(or confused of Crowthorne)[/quote]
Oops hit reply too soon - see my reply in thread #4

Edited by Clarky

If you already have a guitar pod, how about a rack XT pro instead of the X3 - I can't see any reason to 'upgrade' except for the fact it does guitar too. I really don't know why they made it 3u!!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='241354' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:06 PM']I need a bit of advice. Looking to start upgrading gear in the next couple of weeks (yes Gary, the time has come), so here goes.

I know the POD isn't available yet, but I'm thinking with the Tech 21 I get a 2U rack unit (and presumably a very close version of the Geddy/Chris Squire clank which I want) plus no loading backache. The POD/Amp combo will be 5U rack of POD/Amp. At the end of the day I figure if I need to run a guitar, I have a guitar POD, so I'll use that, dispensing with the new POD

P
(or confused of Crowthorne)[/quote]
I have a Landmark 300 - does exactly what all Sansamp based products do tone wise (tubey to full on distortion and clean) and has two channels with footswitch - very useful. Not light by today's standards (20-odd pounds) but light by historic standards. Fits standard 2u rack case. I have it in a Warwick Rackbag but also have a neat black Aguilar 2u rack sleeve that I sometimes put it in (looks better than the Warwick bag). Built like a tank too.

PS, my Landmark 300 was for sale on the Forum but I withdrew it due to lack of interest

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18512&hl=landmark"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...amp;hl=landmark[/url]

Was selling at £350 + postage including the Aguilar rack sleeve, would sell for £320 +postage including Warwick Rackbag :)

Edited by Clarky

Im a TOTAL Tech21 head,Landmark 300w head,matching cabs.....

Its NEVER let me down,dragged through all manner of gigs,and has not been an ounce of probs.Ive used the Sansamp for longer,it isnt an LA clean amp ala SWR,but its made for dirt merchants such as me. If you like an Ampeg type of sound without the weight,and hassle of an all tube head,its the way to go.

P-Bass and this set up,really shifts air.

Tech 21 all the way !

I bough my Landmark 300 off Cetera as he now uses the 600 version
They sound amazing, two switchable channels, light grit and distortion is superb
I had tons of comments when I used it

There was a chap on here ( Col ) selling a FULL Tech 21 stack for not a lot !

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=13255&hl=tech+21"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=tech+21[/url]

He's in the Watford area so not a million miles from you either

Ade

[quote name='ped' post='241360' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:09 PM']If you already have a guitar pod, how about a rack XT pro instead of the X3 - I can't see any reason to 'upgrade' except for the fact it does guitar too. I really don't know why they made it 3u!![/quote]

I think the X3 appealed simply from the perspective that it was a one-unit-hopefully-does-all kind of thing. I own both a bass and guitar Pod. I hear what you say about the 3U thing. At least the Flightcase Warehouse do a 5U rack on wheels!
P

Ah mate, you've discovered the 'secret' joys of the Tech21 Landmark!

I LOVE this head..... it does every sound I want and especially excels in the grindy/gritty hi-mid classic rock sound....

As Ade says, I had the Landmark 300 and I sold it to him..... but only so I could buy the more powerful Landmark 600!!

If you can hold a little while (crazy busy here at the mo) we can maybe get together and you can give my Landmark a trial run.....

[quote name='cetera' post='241787' date='Jul 17 2008, 02:39 PM']Ah mate, you've discovered the 'secret' joys of the Tech21 Landmark!

I LOVE this head..... it does every sound I want and especially excels in the grindy/gritty hi-mid classic rock sound....

As Ade says, I had the Landmark 300 and I sold it to him..... but only so I could buy the more powerful Landmark 600!!

If you can hold a little while (crazy busy here at the mo) we can maybe get together and you can give my Landmark a trial run.....[/quote]

Cool Gary Cheers - I guess if I went with the POD I'm likely to keep it on a kind of gritty sound anyhow...so maybe only one or two patches. I'm looking for that kind of (Ash) Burn Baby Burn kind of sound...dirty Thunderbird/Rickenbacker kind of thing (although I'll be getting the DJ5 soon enough). I have to say I get that tone already, but my Ashdown stuff is getting a little worn out.

I got an e-mail from the UK distributors and the amp isn't available here at all. I'd like to go new, but we'll see.

P