Why become a member? ×

ACG Graft J type Build - UPDATE All FINISHED

Prime_BASS

Well that turned out nice!
Congratulations matey, and very glad you're liking the 33" scale length, it's definitely the way forward ;)
I really like what you've ended up going with for the bridge pickup too, I too don't like bridge pickup tones all that much, apart from on a fretless, so that seems to be the best solution.

The GAS is back and I've got a new ACG being built at the moment!

Eude

That's a beauty. Glad you're liking it (despite the unmanly scale length :P )

Have replaced the p/ups in your erstwhile Zebra Finn with some overwound single coils and the new noise is very pleasant indeed - when someone else is playing it obviously.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

After a money scare recent this went up for sale, but something else is sold and I get to keep this.
Still does the round at rehearsals. The 33" scale and the weight make for long playing periods an absolute breeze. I will be changing the passive wiring that Alan prescribes to the traditional Vol, Vol and Tone. The rotary system is nice but something about either or systems bug me. And series switching isn't my thing at all.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1417462672' post='2620638']
After a money scare recent this went up for sale, but something else is sold and I get to keep this.
Still does the round at rehearsals. The 33" scale and the weight make for long playing periods an absolute breeze. I will be changing the passive wiring that Alan prescribes to the traditional Vol, Vol and Tone. The rotary system is nice but something about either or systems bug me. And series switching isn't my thing at all.
[/quote]

Excellent news mate!
You still never posted some pics though ;)

Eude

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1417462672' post='2620638']
[/quote]

Glad you've got to keep it :) I've gone for the same pickup compliment in my Finn (currently in gestation) but I've gone for an active blend pot with passive tone, as I don't use the active tone controls on my Status but I do use the blend pot for the same reasons you are going V/V/T :) I'm guessing it'll make sod all different to the tone..?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1417525037' post='2621292']

Glad you've got to keep it :) I've gone for the same pickup compliment in my Finn (currently in gestation) but I've gone for an active blend pot with passive tone, as I don't use the active tone controls on my Status but I do use the blend pot for the same reasons you are going V/V/T :) I'm guessing it'll make sod all different to the tone..?
[/quote]

To me it certainly does. Blending provides a few different tonalities that the rotary knob simply won't achieve IMO of course. Plus I don't use the series mode as I just don't like the sound at all.

In theory a blend should do what I like to do but all ones I have tried have felt like he volume is only half open on each pickup. Maybe I'm too used to just whacking the knobs on 10 lol.