Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Dodgy fretless Jazz?

This looks wrong to me:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Fretless-Guitar-/171313712649?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27e317ce09

The headstock seems to be entirely the wrong shape, dunno if it's just the angle or from a certain era but it looks odd, far too skinny with the logo obscured. Also the truss adjustment is at the headstock end, seem to remember the odd MIM being like this but may be wrong.

[color=#666666][font=Arial][size=3]A:[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=3] [/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=3]Hi Bob. There is no identification on the guitar at all - and no, we do not know the age - the dealership were uncertain of its' origin. hope this helps. thanks for your interest. Carole[/size][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial][size=3] [/size][/font][/color]

That's the answer to the question about where it was made, MIA, MIM or MIJ. In the other question about whether it was a factory fretless or not they say this:

[i]"Fender do make them though, and the dealership authenticated the neck, saying it gives a more jazzy sound,almost like a double bass "[/i]

So apparently a Fender dealer has authenticated the neck.

Edited by lemmywinks

Me thinks the time has come that if you want a Fender and want to be sure it IS a Fender; buy a new one.

It's sad but if you want a second-hand Fender, buy one with "Squier" on the headstock. The rest should all be treated as fake. All the folks out there faking them have IMHO got us to a situation now, where any second-hand Fender needs to be treated with suspicion.

It's a sad situation.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1398716107' post='2436965']
This looks wrong to me:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Jazz-Fretless-Guitar-/171313712649?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27e317ce09

The headstock seems to be entirely the wrong shape, dunno if it's just the angle or from a certain era but it looks odd, far too skinny with the logo obscured. Also the truss adjustment is at the headstock end, seem to remember the odd MIM being like this but may be wrong.
[/quote]

Yes i think the proportions of the headstock look totally wrong in both photos ..

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1398719212' post='2437013']
Me thinks the time has come that if you want a Fender and want to be sure it IS a Fender; buy a new one.

It's sad but if you want a second-hand Fender, buy one with "Squier" on the headstock. The rest should all be treated as fake. All the folks out there faking them have IMHO got us to a situation now, where any second-hand Fender needs to be treated with suspicion.

It's a sad situation.
[/quote]

You mean people have got to buy instruments on their own merit rather than just going by what's on the headstock? How tragic.

Headstock shape wrong. No country of origin, & presumably no s/n to ID it with. Looks like a dodgy defret (pretty sure I've never seen a lined fretless maple board Fender before) and I doubt massively it's ever been near a "dealership". And even if it has, shop assistants are seldom experts.

Shonky, bodged-up (check out the oversize nut with bits of snot-rag stuck under the strings) piece of tat.

Jon.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1398725767' post='2437088']
You mean people have got to buy instruments on their own merit rather than just going by what's on the headstock? How tragic.
[/quote]
With most basses being bought over the Internet, it is sad that too many are not what they're claimed to be. I'm sure Fender would be quick to tell you a list of reasons of quality why a Fender is better than a Squier.

Edited by Grangur