cachao

Entwistle bass pickups

Has anybody put Entwistle neos in an active bass? I'm considering doing this as my Tragic IV with the 18v preamp, amazingly, sounds tame compared to my passive basses with them in :lol:

Fitted The p and j  ( neomydiums) to a rather old Aria magna series bass... The result is quite staggering.. Hugely increased output and finally ,vastllyimproved... Absolute bargains and quick efficient service.. Was contemplating EMGS.. Now no need!!!!

• Like 1

STOP! CHECK THESE! Alan ENTWISTLE made in Brittain. THe uninformed think of the OX but they are unrelated except like him these PU's have HUGE Power and Tone. I have Geezers and Quarter Pounders and they are more Powerful than the Geezers and have more power and tone than the QP's and half the prisce of both of them I have just put them in my newish MIM P and they have double the volume and tone than the Fender Alnico's that i took out. These things are the best and most bang-for-buck Bass Modification in History. There are 2 types the better arethe Neodymium magnets and the Ceramic Magnets which are cheaper. I was going to not tell anyone about these so that less players would be comparable to me tone but hey!...in live one gets what one gives. Here are some links http://www.entwistlepickups.com/pickup.php?cat=bass AND reviews https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/235314-entwistle-bass-pickups/

Not sure if anyone can help. A friend of mine helped me fit a P and a J of the entwistles today. They sound fantastic....amazed at how much of an Improvement they are. Obviously my stock pickups weren't up to much esp the J. Quick technical question though..... When we were fitting them..... the magnets came off the P pickup and we didn't pay too much attention to how we reattached them. After fitting and testing the d and g string sound amazing on the P pickup but the E and A are much quieter. Is that possibly to do with us reattaching the magnets the wrong way? Thanks. Sorry if this is a stupid question. 

On 29/11/2020 at 17:51, Paul C said:

Is that possibly to do with us reattaching the magnets the wrong way?

Aye, that's exactly what's happened. 

How do I know ?  Experienced the same thing, only in my case it was slightly worse.

Only came to light after I'd sold the pickup to a fellow BC'er 😱

Flip one of the magnets then revel in the power of the Entwistle 👍

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone had dropped Entwistle JBX & PBX in a Yamaha TRBX174? I have an Entwistle Dark Star in a 7-string guitar and love it, and after reading through this thread I'm pretty sure I want to put the J/PBXs in my new bass now, too. But, saw some people mention fitment issues. 

They r quite a deep pickup with the larger magnets but with my bass, after removing the old crappy 30 yr old foam it was fine. I think someone posted the approximate depth of the pickups on this thread if u want to check up front. 

@Iron1

28mm rings a bell for the split-p.

The magnets arent the problem, only 6mm x 6mm. It's the pole pieces are long screws.

Dab of white paint on the bottom of pole pieces, drop in the pickup cavity. Still sink holes for the poles. White paint gives the position of the holes.

39 minutes ago, Paul C said:

They r quite a deep pickup with the larger magnets but with my bass, after removing the old crappy 30 yr old foam it was fine. I think someone posted the approximate depth of the pickups on this thread if u want to check up front. 

Thx. Yamaha is pretty light on the in-depth info on this bass. But I can always pull the stock pickups out and measure the cavity. 

11 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

28mm rings a bell for the split-p.

The magnets arent the problem, only 6mm x 6mm. It's the pole pieces are long screws.

Dab of white paint on the bottom of pole pieces, drop in the pickup cavity. Still sink holes for the poles. White paint gives the position of the holes.

That's a great idea! Appreciate it.

If I dig these, I also have an Ibanez EXB445 with 2 EMG Select Js in it I might swap out, too. Anyone have any experience comparing those to Entwistles? 

@Iron1

No idea how they would fare against EMG selects but they wipe the floor with Duncan QPs.

Entwistle Neos use a pretty standard wire count  so its quite even Tone, output comes from the super strong magnets. QPs use a high wire count to boost the output, the high count affects the Tone.

• Like 1

@Iron1

Just measured the height of a JBXN I had laying in the drawer. 25mm top of pole piece to bottom of magnet.

If I can unearth the PBXN I'll post the size for it too 👍

Mind I mention Duncan QPs and Entwistles.

Screenshot of a short clip recorded in Audacity. Identical basses, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings

Duncans first.

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

Just measured the height of a JBXN I had laying in the drawer. 25mm top of pole piece to bottom of magnet.

Mind I mention Duncan QPs and Entwistles.

Screenshot of a short clip recorded in Audacity. Identical basses, same strings, same pickup heights and same recording settings

Duncans first.

2052593721_DuncanZodiac.thumb.jpg.e79a717cd4aa2e2cdccec1f7d9e0bd8a.jpg

12920598_EntwistleZodiac.thumb.jpg.f69042e2e0adfd96ecce4a60f88e1531.jpg

Wow, big difference. Thanks for taking the measurements, I'll get mine shortly and see about ordering some pickups! Love this bass, but these stock pickups are a bit lifeless. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

@Iron1

Just caught you measured the Neos and not the regular J/PBX. I assume they're the same physical size, right? Might buy a set of non-neos today as there's a shop not to far away that has them in stock. 

27 minutes ago, Iron1 said:

I assume they're the same physical size, right?

The exact same size. For PBXN/JBXN all that happens is the ceramic magnets on PBX/JBX get swapped for Neodymium.

Valentine's have the dimensions on the product pages.

https://valentineguitars.co.uk/products/ols/categories/alan-entwistle-pickup-design

44 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

The exact same size. For PBXN/JBXN all that happens is the ceramic magnets on PBX/JBX get swapped for Neodymium.

Valentine's have the dimensions on the product pages.

https://valentineguitars.co.uk/products/ols/categories/alan-entwistle-pickup-design

Thanks!

Is there a huge difference between the ceramic and the Neo? For reference, I play mostly metal (from thrash to death to doom) but I do like writing more melodic stuff from time to time. 

Ordered a set of Entwistle Neos a few hours ago and should have them sometime next week! Thanks for all the info, advice & anecdotal evidence that they rock! 

• Like 1

Entwistle's showed up late yesterday. Hopefully will have them installed later today! :santa:

Qn7OZ2c.jpgwAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
Picture added for those who haven't yet seen the monster poles on the P:

hTSIxGg.jpg

Time to shake the ground!

Edited by Iron1

Got 'em installed and set them at the same height the stock ones were set, then quickly realized they needed to be lowered quite a bit. :lol: 

Not quite sure I have them set at the perfect height just yet, but they are far more articulate than the stock Yamaha pups. There's also a bit of harshness to them I'm not sure I like, but that could be just further height adjustment/a little tone fiddling with my Amp Sim in my Fractal. 

So far, definitely happy with them. 

Any suggestions on perfect pickup height?