Why become a member? ×

Rehousing plastic pedals

Iheartreverb

The weak point in the plastic Behringers is not so much the casing as the PCB mounted jacks, pots and footswitch. A proper re-housing job would replace these, which would be a substantial proportion of the work involved in building a new pedal. So unless you can DIY, you might be as well looking for a used Sansamp or living with the Behringer as it is.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

I think the cost you've been quoted is reasonable, particularly if it includes new quality jack sockets, pots and footswitch, not just the box (cost of those parts alone is probably £25 including the box)

I agree, with what was previously mentioned, get a used sansamp or DIY it.

Or you could make a loop pedal (4 jacks, footswitch and case) and stamp on that instead of the plashit behringer pedal.

You could probably do it for a tenner (plus P&P) from www.doctortweek.com

Edited by paul_5

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1398185002' post='2431343']
Or you could make a loop pedal (4 jacks, footswitch and case) and stamp on that instead of the plashit behringer pedal.

You could probably do it for a tenner (plus P&P) from www.doctortweek.com
[/quote]

I'm using it always on. It's not so much the stomping I'm worried about but just it's general condition over time being bagged up/ carried about/ unpacked, plugged in/used/ unplugged over time.

It's a decent quote for a re-house, however try and confirm exactly what he's going to do. As mentioned above, if you're getting nicer jack sockets that aren't purely board mounted and a proper footswitch wired in (fairly in-depth for these soft-switch kinda pedals).

Si

Very reasonable price, going by the assumptions made above (no board-mounted jacks, replace the pots, new enclosure obviously). If the box was totally bare and unfinished then you're still looking at a couple of hours work if you want it done right, so factor in his time to actually do the work as well and it very quickly becomes reasonable :-)

Unless you're going to be driving over the pedal in a tank why would you need to rehouse it? I keep my BDI21 in a lightly padded poundshop discman case to protect it in transit & storage. I've had it and the similar ADI21 for many years and they are both as good as new although they had a lot of use untiI I got a zoom b3.