Why become a member? ×

Grade 8 rock school Bass

Prime_BASS

I'm going to be borrowing the aforementioned soon.
I don't hold any real interest in doing the exam but the past few years my playing has been a bit stale.
So I thought it a great opportunity to actually play something a bit challenging.
I will most likely skip anything prog rock (the first track looks to be prog) as I can't bare the sound of it, I'd rather eat a raw onion.

How difficult will I find it, is my main question?

I mean I've learnt stuff I'd consider difficult, a lot of Rage Against the Machine and some Papanegro stuff, should I try a lower grade rather than jumping into the deep end?

I would have no problem doing rage against the machine songs, and I would seriously doubt they were up to a grade 8 as they are fairly simple, but I have to say I haven't done the grades, so maybe I am wrong. I have done grade 5 piano though, and that was a different level of complication.

I would imagine there would be prog stuff in there as you would get really difficult time signatures so things would be a lot more complicated. I know if I was going to look into it I would start in the middle and work up until I could no longer do it, then start there.

I use the Rockschool stuff at work and have a few players currently studying grade 8. The current book is good. Some nice tracks; I particularly like Lead Sheet and Mind the Gaps.

How hard is it? Well there are a few tricky sections in all of the tunes of course, but they are all doable with enough time, motivation and a good teacher.

Given enough time any one could play the songs. I think they are a great.

How hard you will find it may depends on your prior knowledge and experience. What's your theory like? The technical exercises may be worth looking as many of these will help you play the tunes. They wil also help you with your general theory, harmony and fretboard knowledge.

If your looking for something to give your learning focus and stretch you abilities then they are a great resource. Good luck:)

• 2 weeks later...

I can't comment on Grade 8, but I had a Grade 6 book a few years back and I would say that most of the tunes were more difficult than any RATM songs (speaking as someone who has at some point learnt every RATM song that is available). They also had sections of improvisation, and I believe that you had to know quite a bit of theory. Like I said, this was a few years ago and it's possible that things have changed.

I would advise going into a music shop and finding one of the books and having a look to see whether you think you are up to it.

I, in my school days, did Grade 3 and 5. I never bothered with anymore as I didn't ever use what I learnt and I was too busy sorting out A-Levels following those two grades. Then it was Uni and trying to work/be in a band, so I figured I'd just stick to bass and guitar as purely fun.

Some of the Grade 5 songs were quite difficult. I think the speed of the scales, etc, were also fairly challenging. Most of it was much more difficult that the usual rock band stuff, but this is years ago and now I might find it much easier.

You could dive in at Grade 5/6 and just take your time?

Taking the grade 8 exam will definitely challenge you. I know the rockschool grade 8 makes you learn the half diminished scales, all major and minor scales, arpeggios up and down (everything 2 octaves). It really does help in the end as you have a new approach to playing and see things in another perspective.
Pieces themselves are also challenging if your not familiar with the techniques such as slapping, tapping and so on. Again it's a learning curve and helps you branch out your musical interests.

But again, it's a piece of paper saying you've achieved grade 8. You can't turn up to an audition and show them that and expect them to hire you Lol !!! (I know someone who did that)

Edited by ML94

This thread interests me as I've been thinking about getting formal lessons.

I have some very basic stuff - Grade 1 theory, Grade 1 Piano, Grade 3 alto sax - and these days I'm playing in an orchestra.

I had a look at the Rockschool requirements and they don't seem anywhere near as complex as traditional classical grades. Is that correct? I was only looking at a few items so I'm sure I'm not getting the while picture.

I'm actually thinking of taking piano lessons instead, so I can learn to read both clefs, and I don't need anyone to tell me where the notes are on the bass - I just need to know how to read the music properly!

I was in a similar position in that I found it interesting. As someone that did grade 5 theory and 4 piano exams, I got the grade 5 bass book, and it seems like a good point to go in. No, it doesn't comparable with the traditional grade 5 theory I did, where you would be expected to know a lot more than a few different types of scales (for a start you would need by that grade to know a large part of italian for reading sheet music).

I thought I might try the rockschool exams though, I bought the book, I might as well, although I will have to look around for a tutor around here to see if I have the main points nailed down

I'm having piano lessons at the moment. It is a fiendishly difficult instrument (and my teacher is a stickler for proper legato playing, which I am terrible at), but I'm loving the challenge, and although I couldn't say it is having any discernible effect on my bass playing it is certainly improving my general grasp of music theory.