Why become a member? ×

Took the five string plunge....

geoham

Some of the band's recent additions to the setlist have put me in the mood for my first five string. I'd originally thought about waiting a few months and buying a Squire VM Jazz V, but I managed to grab myself a bit of a bargain last week. Got an Ibanez SR405, brilliant condition for £90!

I can't seem to find too much information on this, but it sounds nice and plays nice. Don't know what the actual market value would be, but it seems awesome bass for what I paid. Just need to remember that the fat string is now B...... tougher than I thought!

Anyone know anything about this bass (age etc)?

Cheers!

Edited by geoham

Depending on which factory put your bass together (I believe Cort have made some of the lower end Ibanez models) you can look at the serial number and often the first two digits give the year it was built - I've got four Cort built basses (two Squiers, a Tanglewood and a Cort) and have dated all of them this way.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1397335553' post='2423023']
I wouldn't worry, its a bargain! Congrats
[/quote]
It certainly was! A bonafide 'surplus to requirements' deal - guy had just puchased what looked like the same bass in another colour. Well chuffed!

Congrats on the new bass - what were the recent song additions that made you think of buying a 5 string?

I struggled reading tab for a five string bass when I began to play, so many years of practicing with a four string.

One of the first songs I learned to play on a five string was "sledgehammer" by peter gabriel, then Van halen's "right now".

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1397338197' post='2423053']
Congrats on the new bass - what were the recent song additions that made you think of buying a 5 string?

I struggled reading tab for a five string bass when I began to play, so many years of practicing with a four string.

One of the first songs I learned to play on a five string was "sledgehammer" by peter gabriel, then Van halen's "right now".
[/quote]

Two that spring to mind are Stevie Wonder's Superstition & My Cherie Amour, both go down to E flat. Also, I've been playing Get Lucky using an octave effect, so will try that one too. Middle bit of Runaway Baby drops an octave for a couple of bars, so that might be another one. In general, there are a few tracks where I've been wanting to go down a wee touch lower than E at bits, so this will do the trick. Lastly, makes certain vocalist driven key changes a bit more feasible!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1397342498' post='2423100']
Don't feel limited to using the B string for notes below bottom E. Use it further up the neck to change the tone and reduce the amount of charging up and down the fretboard you do.
[/quote]

In theory, this is where I see the biggest benefit. Been relearning a few songs I know inside out - I'm surprised at how tough it is! Need to get out of autopilot mode and think about what I'm doing. It definitely is a different instrument.

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1397342498' post='2423100']
Don't feel limited to using the B string for notes below bottom E. Use it further up the neck to change the tone and reduce the amount of charging up and down the fretboard you do.
[/quote]

Spot on

The biggest advantage (for me) is the ability to change the key of a song with minimum effort, I try and learn songs in one position with no open strings, then if I play in a different band, or have a dep singer it's no effort to change key. It's also nice if a song is in E but needs to go down a little, you don't have to go up an octave.