Why become a member? ×

Thinking of a new amp

topheteatwo

Hey guys

My Ampeg SVT 3 is good but I'm just wondering what I could maybe replace it with?

I like the Ampeg but I can find it to be a bit thin at times and makes my distortion just a little bit too thin (could have something to do with the mid focus on Ampegs), it also can be a bit temperamental in how it sounds.

Looking for something that's just a little bit bigger in sound and better to run distortion through, I've been looking at the SVT 7, the Streamliner 900, the Tone Hammer 500 and the PF500 but I'm open to any suggestions, just needs to be a reasonable pricey, portable and decent sounding!

Cheers!

PF500 sounds great, I`ve had two, one that worked fine, one which didn`t make the end of its first rehearsal. The SVT7 also suffers from this from what I`ve read on Talkbass. The Tone Hammer 500 I`ve tried and my impressions were of a more modern sounding Ampeg.

I am really hankering for a SVT....

I've been reading as much as I can find out about the 7 Pro issues and the latest build does appear to be a much more stable platform than previous revisions. The majority of complaints over at Talkbass are 2010-2012. That said, there are a few reports from newer owners experiencing problems with it shutting down.

I am hoping to try one out next week at PMT in Birmingham when I will also be checking their returns policy :-)

Ironically, the other head that interests me is a 3 Pro!!

I'm looking forward to seeing what recommendations you get.....

I suggest the GK MB500 Fusion. I've not been so knocked out by an amp for a long time. Its core sounds are really very good indeed. Just plug and play. Plus it has two gains and two masters which can be toggled with a (supplied) footswitch so you can have a clean and a disto channel (for example). Has three preamp-stage valves. It is definitely [i]not [/i]a thin-sounding amp!

Also has a valve-driven Contour control which progressively scoops your sound á la Markbass's VPF filter, but is selectable at 500Hz or 800Hz. [size=4]It's a huge-sounding loud amp but physically small and light. I'm very impressed. [/size][size=4]I recommend you try one if you can. :)[/size]

[size=4]Edit: Probably should say I've never been a great fan of the 'GK sound', and though this amp will certainly do that, it does a [i]lot [/i]more besides. It certainly covers a lot of ground.[/size]

Edited by discreet