Why become a member? ×

Fender bullet GAS

project_c

I've just found out that Fender used to make these back in the 80's, they're essentially a short scale Precision from what I can tell. Does anyone here have one? I would love to know general opinions & what they sound like in comparison to a Precision, the pickups look the same as a Mustang so I'm guessing they sound closer to those, but if the short scale version can get the midrange and grit of a p-bass, I will need to hunt one down. Photo is not mine, this one apparently sold only a few days ago, it was pretty cheap for a USA Fender, I think it was under £400. Not sure if it was the 30 or 34 scale though. I hear the Japanese version was also very nice, there are a few knocking around in the USA, none over here from what I can see.

they are great basses

came in 34" and 30" necks

originally made in USA then re-badged squire and made in japan

they are a much better sounding bass than a musicmaster as they have mustang (mini-precision type split) pickups specifically designed for bass rather than a strat pickup

the bodies are also smaller and as a result very light

Here's mine it's a short scale US model B30. The pick guard was custom made by our very own Bass Doc. The original guard is off-white. The bass is in the rarer walnut finish - most I've seen are red or cream as in the OP. I'm using this instead of my JV Squier Precision at the moment because of a neck and shoulder injury this is much lighter and manageable to play at long gigs. The neck is superb and it's surprisingly punchy sounding. I've owned the MIJ long scale version too and they are excellent basses but not available as a 30" scale version. If you find one of these in decent condition go for it. They are certainly capable instruments and relatively cheap for US made basses.

Edited by ash

The body is three pieces of alder and quite dense for the size - rings like a bell! The main difference between the P and the Bullet is that the small pickups don't have quite the same mid 'grunt' as my Precision. Easily remedied with EQ however. The scale length means it's much easier to move around on and personally I don't think the shorter scale makes it any lesser a bass in the tone department. I like the core sound of the Bullet, it's currently strung with a Elite medium roundwounds and gives a nice contrasting sound to my Hofner Violin which is very old school!

Yeah, that makes sense, thanks for your input. I'm definitely going to try to search one out. I'm also looking at the pawn shop Mustang, which does have more of a midrange grunt because of that massive humbucker, and it's available everywhere, but aesthetically it's nowhere near as nice as the Bullet with the maple neck, tele headstock and precision body. Quite surprised Fender only had such a short run of these.

• 4 weeks later...