Why become a member? ×

Students squire almost as good as my MIA Fender

Jezyorkshire

I've just taken delivery of a 2008 American Standard P Bass. It's the best quality US Fender I've owned and it sounds amazing.

I'm not sure why I've told you this but I had to tell someone. I told my wife but she doesn't care. You probably don't either.

My point? Yeah, that's right. I'm Brad.

PS Sod off Clarky!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='241956' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:31 PM']I've just taken delivery of a 2008 American Standard P Bass. It's the best quality US Fender I've owned and it sounds amazing.

I'm not sure why I've told you this but I had to tell someone. I told my wife but she doesn't care. You probably don't either.

My point? Yeah, that's right. I'm Brad.

PS Sod off Clarky!![/quote]
doh!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241947' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:26 PM']I don't disagree with your view that quality varies and that for some, an MIA is not worth the extra cash.

I disagree with the retarded statement that you made.

As for being rude, as an MIA owner, you infered I was a snob.

Snob or retard? Not sure which I'd prefer really.[/quote]
Well I disagree with your extremely offensive personal comments made about someone you don't know.
If you can't argue a point without being rude then keep your opinions to yourself.

[quote name='noisedude' post='241952' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:28 PM']That wasn't the view, though. The view he said was snobbish was the one whereby somebody wants the MIA because it is MIA and therefore 'must' be better.[/quote]

Noisedude, I'm getting bored of quoting this!

"The MIA is for snobs that have to have Made in the USA on the headstock"

Go and read the post!

It doesn't say "often people by MIA's becuase they have a snobbish attitude towards where basses are built". (I agree)

It says, to re-itereate:

[b]"The MIA is for snobs that have to have Made in the USA on the headstock"[/b]

Get it?

One more time?

[b]"The MIA is for snobs that have to have Made in the USA on the headstock"[/b]

What part of this are you struggling with?

If I were to say "I don't like black people because black people commit crime" could I get away with it if I then say "but I didn't say all black people, just some do"?
Would you be so understanding to my view? Of course not.

I'm going to have a lie down. This is bringing me out in hives.

Mother??

And for the record, [i]some [/i] - not all people can have a snobbish attitude and will only buy American Fenders.
Often these are patriotic Americans - nothing wrong in that, just that Mexican Fenders can be just as good. Bear in mind what goes into making a p-bass - even American Deluxe models come into the shop badly set up, needing fret- and nutwork.
The Squier VMJ is also a great instrument for players on a budget.

[quote name='XB26354' post='241959' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:36 PM']Well I disagree with your extremely offensive personal comments made about someone you don't know.
If you can't argue a point without being rude then keep your opinions to yourself.[/quote]

What's personal about calling your comment retarded?

Do you stand by that comment?

I don't think the issue is me being rude or not, perhaps I've just highlighted that you said a silly thing?

Don't worry about it, everyone is allowed to make a mistake.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241962' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:39 PM']Noisedude, I'm getting bored of quoting this!

Go and read the post!

It doesn't say "often people by MIA's becuase they have a snobbish attitude towards where basses are built". (I agree)

It says, to re-itereate:

Get it?

One more time?

If I were to say "I don't like black people because black people commit crime" could I get away with it if I then say "but I didn't say all black people, just some do"?

Mother??[/quote]
Oh for god's sake - now you're mixing metaphors and accusing me of being a closet racist?
Anything else you'd care to share?

I have a Fender P that was "Crafted", not "Made", in Japan - what does that make me?

Only kidding (though I do have one and its fab - and it has a MIA string post just to really confuse the snob/retard "debate") :)

Yeah, alright I will sod off now

I've no strong views on any of this - I've owned MIA, MIJ, MIM and Squier (and even Warwick!). I bought each because I liked them, rather than where they were made.

But I do want to thank BBC and XB26354 for keeping me entertained on an otherwise boring Thursday afternoon!

:)

[quote name='Clarky' post='241968' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:44 PM']I have a Fender P that was "Crafted", not "Made", in Japan - what does that make me?

Only kidding (though I do have one and its fab - and it has a MIA string post just to really confuse the snob/retard "debate") :)

Yeah, alright I will sod off now[/quote]

Awww, you can stay if you want to Clarky :huh:

[quote name='XB26354' post='241966' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:43 PM']Oh for god's sake - now you're mixing metaphors and accusing me of being a closet racist?
Anything else you'd care to share?[/quote]

Closet racist?

What the f***????

*you don't wash your hands after weeing.

[quote name='simon1964' post='241970' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:45 PM']I've no strong views on any of this - I've owned MIA, MIJ, MIM and Squier (and even Warwick!). I bought each because I liked them, rather than where they were made.

But I do want to thank BBC and XB26354 for keeping me entertained on an otherwise boring Thursday afternoon!

:)[/quote]

The truth is, I don't have a strong view on this either. Thats kinda my point. I'd play anything if I liked it. But I don't like being called a snob because I happened to like a bass made in the USA!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241962' date='Jul 17 2008, 05:39 PM']Noisedude, I'm getting bored of quoting this!

Go and read the post!

It says, to re-itereate:

Get it?

One more time?

Mother??[/quote]
Yes but if you apply that system of taking a general, provocative debate point and allowing no leeway then you are in the sticky stuff yourself:
[quote]I've never played a Mex Jazz that sounds as good. There may be some out there.........

Thankfully, £250 isn't considerable enough to me to warrant settling for a lesser instrument.[/quote]
Which is it? There are some out there that are as good? Or you have to spend £250 more so as to not have a lesser instrument?

Still I guess it's ok because:
[quote]Don't worry about it, everyone is allowed to make a mistake.[/quote]

Ulp, except then you said:
[quote]I'm far from a brand snob.... I really couldn't give a sh*t what it says on the headstock (as long as its not Warwick).[/quote]
And then,
[quote]For the record - I'm not a big Fender fan. I play one, but would play any brand (apart from Warwick) if I liked the bass.[/quote]
Yeah, can't spot any major problems there ... I mean, it would be retarded to say people buy American instruments out of snobbishness but not at all retarded to not play a bass THAT YOU ACTUALLY LIKE simply because of the name on the headstock.

Clearly you have developed an excellent rule for everyone else that doesn't apply to yourself!!

[quote]I don't think the issue is me being rude or not, perhaps I've just highlighted that you said a silly thing?[/quote]
I think the issue at this point is probably that you've said[i] at least [/i]as many silly things as him and are the only one who has felt the need to punctuate your views with personal comments such as calling him "full of sh*t" and "retarded".

[quote name='noisedude' post='241993' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:09 PM']Yes but if you apply that system of taking a general, provocative debate point and allowing no leeway then you are in the sticky stuff yourself:

Which is it? There are some out there that are as good? Or you have to spend £250 more so as to not have a lesser instrument?

Still I guess it's ok because:

Ulp, except then you said:

And then,

Yeah, can't spot any major problems there ... I mean, it would be retarded to say people buy American instruments out of snobbishness but not at all retarded to not play a bass THAT YOU ACTUALLY LIKE simply because of the name on the headstock.

Clearly you have developed an excellent rule for everyone else that doesn't apply to yourself!!

I think the issue at this point is probably that you've said[i] at least [/i]as many silly things as him and are the only one who has felt the need to punctuate your views with personal comments such as calling him "full of sh*t" and "retarded".[/quote]

Thats more like it!

I don't play Warwicks, becuase I don't like the stylying. The body shapes tend to make the necks feel too long for my liking. I also don't like the sound of active basses and wood finishes. This means that I've never liked a Warwick. Nothing to do with the brand. They have a distinctive style across the range and its not a style I like.

When I say "paying £250 for a lesser instrument" - this is true. Out of all the MIM's I've played, I couldn't find one I liked as much as my MIA. I even admit such an instrument may exist, I just couldn't find one that wasn't a "lesser instrument". Nothing snobbish about that.

As for being rude, I think I've been quite polite??! I can also stand by every comment I've made. I'm not going to use that quote again, but can he??

Whoah yeah!!!

Game, Set, Match - The Big Beef Chief.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5-Xs2fM0g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5-Xs2fM0g[/url]

When I have done front of house sound, I never cared or bothered what kind of bass it was as most of the time the bass sounded ok in the context of the music in the hands of a decent player.
I am sure many Squiers MiA , CiJ and MiM have all came in this category at some point.
I don’t think many people would care either except other Mia owners with a chip on their shoulder.

On the odd occasion the bass sound stands out to me is if the bass sounded was partially IMHO good or bad,

A few things I would like to know is, In peoples opinion
Is a Squier standard or Affinity much behind a Vintage mod once you have changed the bridge and the pickups?

Is the MiM worth e extra money when compared to from a Vintage mod?

Are there better low priced Jazz Basses then squires?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFM-ZX5Trro&eurl=http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22377&hl=honk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFM-ZX5Trro...377&hl=honk[/url]
That to me is a good jazz bass sound.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241999' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:20 PM']Thats more like it!

I don't play Warwicks, becuase I don't like the stylying. The body shapes tend to make the necks feel too long for my liking. I also don't like the sound of active basses and wood finishes. This means that I've never liked a Warwick. Nothing to do with the brand. They have a distinctive style across the range and its not a style I like.

When I say "paying £250 for a lesser instrument" - this is true. Out of all the MIM's I've played, I couldn't find one I liked as much as my MIA. I even admit such an instrument may exist, I just couldn't find one that wasn't a "lesser instrument". Nothing snobbish about that.

As for being rude, I think I've been quite polite??! I can also stand by every comment I've made. I'm not going to use that quote again, but can he??

Whoah yeah!!!

Game, Set, Match - The Big Beef Chief.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5-Xs2fM0g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I5-Xs2fM0g[/url][/quote]
So you stand by the comment,
"I would play any brand (apart from Warwick) if I liked the bass,"
by saying that it's nothing to do with the brand?! That's not 'standing by', there, chief. That's contradicting yourself. What you say is that if you like the bass, you STILL won't play it BECAUSE it's a Warwick. Are you standing by that or not? Because if you are, then you have to NOT stand by the claim that it's nothing to do with the brand.

And if you think you've been polite then we have pretty much identified the problem, and it's nothing to do with guitars.

You ain't won nothing, chief, I barely disagree with your opinion and still the way you contradict yourself makes it impossible for me to come down on your side!!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='241887' date='Jul 17 2008, 04:44 PM']Or maybe its because they're slightly different instruments?[/quote]
They're not different though...they're exactly the same. Except one's made in America and the other Mexico. A given price point is not necessarily a guarantee of quality, y'know.

[quote name='noisedude' post='242008' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:28 PM']So you stand by the comment,
"I would play any brand (apart from Warwick) if I liked the bass,"
by saying that it's nothing to do with the brand?! That's not 'standing by', there, chief. That's contradicting yourself. What you say is that if you like the bass, you STILL won't play it BECAUSE it's a Warwick. Are you standing by that or not? Because if you are, then you have to NOT stand by the claim that it's nothing to do with the brand.

And if you think you've been polite then we have pretty much identified the problem, and it's nothing to do with guitars.

You ain't won nothing, chief, I barely disagree with your opinion and still the way you contradict yourself makes it impossible for me to come down on your side!![/quote]

Come on noisedude! You know I'm the man!

My (exaggerated) hatred of Warwicks is well documented. If they release a passive bass in a decent styling (with a J neck), I could be converted. But as it stands today, Warwick don't produce a bass I like. I don't hate the badge, I hate what its stuck on. D'ya get me?

Also, in reference to my manners, someone said something retarded. Not just retarded in my opion. Retarded full stop. I'm the type of person who doesn't ignore these things. I'm sure XB26354 is a big boy. I'm sure he's a very nice chap. If I meet him I'll buy him a waffle.

Can you "come down on my side now"?

The bed's to big without you.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='242011' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:33 PM']They're not different though...they're exactly the same. Except one's made in America and the other Mexico. A given price point is not necessarily a guarantee of quality, y'know.[/quote]

This is not true. Do you think there is no difference apart from country of origin?

I'm not talking about build quality, I'm talking about actual, tangible differences. They are different instruments.