Why become a member? ×

Students squire almost as good as my MIA Fender

Jezyorkshire

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='242027' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:45 PM']Explain how the Mexican version is different from the American version then.[/quote]

The new specs are on the Fender website, check them out.

When I bought my Jazz, the MIA had S1, the MIM didn't. I never play without the S1 on, so for me, its a big deal.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='242020' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:38 PM']Come on noisedude! You know I'm the man!

My (exaggerated) hatred of Warwicks is well documented. If they release a passive bass in a decent styling (with a J neck), I could be converted. But as it stands today, Warwick don't produce a bass I like. I don't hate the badge, I hate what its stuck on. D'ya get me?

Also, in reference to my manners, someone said something retarded. Not just retarded in my opion. Retarded full stop. I'm the type of person who doesn't ignore these things. I'm sure XB26354 is a big boy. I'm sure he's a very nice chap. If I meet him I'll buy him a waffle.

Can you "come down on my side now"?

The bed's to big without you.[/quote]
It's the first thread I've been in on here that's had a bit of 'bite' so no, I'm not making friends with you. I'll have more fun if we leave it as it is so I can provoke you whilst taking the moral high ground in some other threads.

I'm a long way from Tonbridge so I'll let you post me a cheque for my waffle.

[quote name='noisedude' post='242034' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:54 PM']It's the first thread I've been in on here that's had a bit of 'bite' so no, I'm not making friends with you. I'll have more fun if we leave it as it is so I can provoke you whilst taking the moral high ground in some other threads.

I'm a long way from Tonbridge so I'll let you post me a cheque for my waffle.[/quote]
Anyway the waffles in Tonbridge are rubbish - they're made in Mexico

[quote name='Clarky' post='242036' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:57 PM']Anyway the waffles in Tonbridge are rubbish - they're made in Mexico[/quote]

"US Waffles are for snobs that have to have Made in the USA on the......."

sh*t. Doesn't quite work.

Edited by BigBeefChief

American Standard Jazz Bass®

Body- Alder
Neck- Graphite Reinforced Maple, Modern “C” Shape, (Gloss Headstock Face with Satin Polyurethane Finish on Back of Neck)
Fingerboard- Rosewood p/n (019-0660) or Maple p/n (019-0662), 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets- 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups- 2 American Standard Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups
Controls- Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Pickup Switching- None
Bridge- HMV, High Mass Vintage, (Strings-Thru-Body or Topload)
Machine Heads- Fender®/Hipshot® Vintage Keys with Tapered Shafts
Hardware- Chrome
Pickguard- 4-Ply Brown Shell On:
Scale Length- 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut- 1.50” (38 mm)
Unique Features- Tinted Neck,
Maple Fingerboard Neck: Satin Finish on Back, Gloss Finish on Front;
Rosewood Fingerboard Neck: Satin Finish on Back, Gloss Finish on Headstock Front with Buffed Fingerboard,
Fender Spaghetti Logo,
Posiflex™ Graphite Neck Support Rods,
Rounded Body Shape,
Rolled Fingerboard Edges,

Standard Jazz Bass® (Upgrade)

Body- Alder
Neck- Maple, Modern “C” Shape, (Satin Polyurethane Finish)
Fingerboard- Rosewood, 9.5” Radius (241mm)
No. of Frets- 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
Pickups- 2 "New" Standard Jazz Bass Single-Coil Pickups
Controls- Volume 1. (Neck Pickup), Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup), Master Tone
Pickup Switching- None
Bridge- Standard Vintage Style
Machine Heads- Standard
Hardware- Chrome
Pickguard- 3-Ply White
Scale Length- 34” (864 mm)
Width at Nut- 1.50” (38 mm)
Unique Features- New Pickups and New Vintage Style Jazz Bass Control Knobs

Well from what I can see, the differences are an upgraded bridge, better machine heads, Fender American Jazz pups and graphite neck supported rods. Don't know if that's worth £300 more.

[quote name='thinman' post='242057' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:30 PM']Tonbridge & Malling is apparently the most affluent borough in Kent. What's £300?

BTW I've got a MIM (really) because I live in the next borough.[/quote]
Hello! Sevenoaks is well posh - stockbroker belt. Must be a MIM Sadowsky :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='242066' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:36 PM']Hello! Sevenoaks is well posh - stockbroker belt. Must be a MIM Sadowsky :)[/quote]
Posh? Me? No, I just live here to make the knobs feel better about their lot. tBBC is the real aristocracy here though I don't think he's married his sister.

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='242011' date='Jul 17 2008, 06:33 PM']They're not different though...they're exactly the same. Except one's made in America and the other Mexico. A given price point is not necessarily a guarantee of quality, y'know.[/quote]

[quote name='Stan_da_man' post='242055' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:26 PM']Well from what I can see, the differences are an upgraded bridge, better machine heads, Fender American Jazz pups and graphite neck supported rods.[/quote]

Do you see what I did there?

Clever eh?

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='242078' date='Jul 17 2008, 07:50 PM']I promised my ol' Pa on his death bed that I wouldn't marry a woman who didn't take anal.

Sadly, my sister doesn't.[/quote]
Taking a wild guess, methinks you may be losing your sympathisers here BBC

But I have a feeling that gives you a warmer glow than your MIA bass :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='242092' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:07 PM']Taking a wild guess, methinks you may be losing your sympathisers here BBC

But I have a feeling that gives you a warmer glow than your MIA bass :)[/quote]

Yeah.

Infamy, infamy. They've all got it in-for-me.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='242095' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:10 PM']Yeah.

Infamy, infamy. They've all got it in-for-me.[/quote]
Confession, BBC - I was born in Tunbridge Wells - posher even than Tonbridge and Seveoaks. Was weaned on Fender Custom Shop milk (MIA of course, none of that Mexican milk) and Sadowsky rusks

Thankfully I live in London now and can hold my head high with a "Crafted in Japan" Fender

[quote name='Clarky' post='242100' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:14 PM']Confession, BBC - I was born in Tunbridge Wells - posher even than Tonbridge and Seveoaks.[/quote]

If by "born in Tunbridge Wells" you mean Pembury Hospital, then so was I. And so was Shane McGowan oddly enough.

And Sid Vicious went to School there.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='242104' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:18 PM']If by "born in Tunbridge Wells" you mean Pembury Hospital, then so was I. And so was Shane McGowan oddly enough.

And Sid Vicious went to School there.[/quote]
Yep, the very same Hospital (1963, bit older than you, OK a lot) and I went to the same primary school as Sid at the same time (but don't remember him .. mind you don't think he remembers me either :)). I honour him (well slightly but actually the Ramones much more) with my white P bass which is Crafted in Japan and not MIA or MIM and thus of infinitely higher quality ... oops

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='242113' date='Jul 17 2008, 08:25 PM']If you weren't born in Pembury Hospital then you are a f***ing c***.

Got a problem with that?

Go speak to Clarky or McGowan.[/quote]
I have more teeth than him

Just to set the record straight, the student mentioned in my original post has the same opinion as myself when we compared the basses mentioned, and it was initially himself that said that his sounded better through his 15watt practice amp.
also while looking for a bass for him i tried plenty of other fenders including some signature models and i prefered the bass i chose for him.
I had occasion to play a fender Precision Fretless, Tony Franklin recently and must say it is one of the best fretlesses i have played, cheers, Jez.

Errrm folks.....

I have been rather busy at work and missed a lot of this.....

I believe from reading this thread independantly.... that,

1.Some of you are being a little too assertive with your opinions....

2.One or more of you have made posts that, I believe if you read again (and detach your own emotions from) you will see are not that well thought out and were actually going to provoke an aggressive reply.

3. Squier are a different brand than Fender, so what? dont compare them!

4. The OP was passing coment that a cheaper bass could be set up and made to sound as good or better than asn expensive one. Nothing new or startling in there.

5. Despite being contacted to the contrary, I have not seen anything in this thread that is massively denegrating or insulting, just some rash and ill thought out provocational posts.

6. Enough is enough, and I am closing this thread before it DOES get to the point when very silly comments are made that beyond the bounds of decency and the rules of this forum

Bob.