Why become a member? ×

New Mesa rig

Dan_Nailed

So I completely re-hashed my rig.....sold my Ampeg SVP-Pro (to BassJamm), my QSC PLX1602, my Samson Powerbrite (Both to Finbar), my dbx166xl compressor/gate(on Ebay), and my Ampeg 8x10(to Matt), here is my new rig:

2000 Mesa 400+ & 1st generation Powerhouse 6x10(no player control network, only tweeter control). Signal chain goes Bass-> Korg DTR-2-> I banez PD7-> 400+ -> Powerhouse 6x10. All Planet Waves cables.

Sounds good? You bet it does. I'll never go back to Ampeg, hate to say it but for my needs and ear the tone just doesn't stack up.

It's surprisngly light, the 400+ is lighter than my old rack setup and the 6x10" is more portable than my Ampeg fridge, not that I'm bothered about that stuff I'm a roadie on the side haha.

I scored the lot 2nd hand for £1350 having sold all my other bits for £1100. I started out wanting to buy an Ampeg SVT4 and this is how I ended up!

Edited by Dan_Nailed

The main thing about this setup is one word - [b]thick[/b]. It's so punchy in the middle and defined that you can't escape it, it glues everything together. I've slimmed right down to just my distortion going in the front, turn the tweeter up to -2dB(never did that on my Peavey 4x10 back in the day, too harsh) and I get the definition in the top and it's just simply insane. I'm gonna swap out the driver for a 12AU7 to reduce the gain on Channel 2(I Y cable the channels) and I think it'll be even better then. If you can get anything Mesa, I say go for it!

Edited by Dan_Nailed

• 3 weeks later...