Why become a member? ×

T C Electronics advice

indiegrungesound

Right folks. I hope I can, once again(:-S ;-)), get some feed back from anyone who has; or has owned, a T C Electronics BH500 & matching BC210/212 cabs.
I'm currently restarting bands, so I'm thinking of overhauling my rig. My Hartke LH500/Ampeg PF-350/2 Warwick 12" cabs set up is very good. However, if I go with the minimal set up of the BH500 & a BC212, I have less gear to cart around. I also then have the future scope for going upto a 6 x 10" or 6 x 12" stack!
Should I go for it folks?

I have the BH500 and 2xBC212 stack as well, it's a fantastic bit of kit, plenty of oomph, and the height of the thing really helps me to hear myself clearly (rather than a 1x15 pointing at your ankles).

Sorely tempted to get myself another BC212 for the sheer ridiculousness of a 6 x 12 stack.

I have noticed the stack sound hugely different depending on whether you stack the cabs vertically or horizontally. Horizontal cabs make it a lot more bassy.

Can't comment on the cabs, but my BH500 runs through a Peavey 410, and I've never run out of headroom. Lots of great, useable tones. Great amp, love it. I've used it with orchestras, 3 piece rock band, 4 piece rock band, as well a big band set up with brass and woodwind and 3-4 vocalists and it has worked great in all situations. It's also been in the studio, and the DI worked really well, as well as having the cab mic'd up.

I just wish I could use it more often these days.

Edited by Mr Anthony

In an attempt to give you a balanced response .... Obviously there are a number of people who own and are happy with the this kit. I have owned the BC cabs (and many, many others). My opinion of them is that they are "OK". You get what you pay for. They are certainly light. But as for their sonic abilities, they do have their limits which are less than most more expensive cabs. ie they do tend to fart out earlier at higher volume than many others and are a bit mid-scooped in character for me. SO a great bit of kit, but built down to a price. If you only use at low-medium volume and don't want tweeter control you'll probably be happy with them.
The BH500 is certainly a sturdy bit of kit with plenty of volume. I have tried one out but not owned one (owned an RH450). WIth amps it comes down to taste really. If you like the BH500 sound you will be thrilled with it. It'll be reliable and cheap.

I use the BH 500 head into the BC 410, and also have a BC212 for super large gigs, doing classic rockers in pubs and clubs with a bog standard Mex fender P bass, and very rarely use the 2 cabs, the 4x10 is very capable. We are a VERY loud band and I've not ever found the cabs wanting, the 410 is a 4 ohm cab, but you can also add one other TC cab as well. For my needs it's a great set up.

Cheers everyone! I think the BH500 is looking like the most likely purchase right now. The 2 x 10" & 2 x 12" BC cabs are 250 watts @ 8 ohms, whilst my Warwicks are 300 watts @ 8 ohms, so I can use the BH500 with just 1 cab without the fear of blowing the speaker by accident. If I have the urge to go for a full T C rig, I can do it at a leisurely(and cost effective ;) )pace!

Thanks again folks!

I use just a single BC2x12 with my BH500 head and have no problems. Where I brought mine from they offered a number of different cab combinations in package with the head. I didn't know the head could take 3 cabs tho, been meaning to get a second now need to see if i can afford the third.

I use the Bh500 with a bc210 & bc212 in a very loud 2 guitar band - very happy with it!

If you can wait a month or two as mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if TC do their usual 'one cabinet free' deal (from what I can remember they have done it annually in the summer for the last 2/3 years).

I heard one of our very own Basschatters, Krakan, use a BG250 and BC210 the other night, and though it was through FOH, it obviously had enough for him on-stage. Having also played in that band, the drummer isn`t quiet, .so have to assume that a BG500 & 212 will be more than enough

• 3 weeks later...

Did you go with the BH500 and the BC212 in the end? I'm thinking of going with the same setup. Already have the BC212 and am about to order the BH500 head, but worried that it will be too much for the single cab.
The TC website isnt much help either.
Can anyone confirm if using the head at 8 ohms with the one cab will put out 250 watts rms?

[quote name='indiegrungesound' timestamp='1396543087' post='2414932']
Cheers everyone! I think the BH500 is looking like the most likely purchase right now. The 2 x 10" & 2 x 12" BC cabs are 250 watts @ 8 ohms, whilst my Warwicks are 300 watts @ 8 ohms, so I can use the BH500 with just 1 cab without the fear of blowing the speaker by accident. If I have the urge to go for a full T C rig, I can do it at a leisurely(and cost effective ;) )pace!

Thanks again folks!
[/quote]

Don't assume you can't blow a speaker if the watts match. If the band's too loud & you can't hear your rig, then you turn it up, then it can do damage.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1398598123' post='2435572']
You be fine mate using the BH500 with tje BC212. Is loud enough already. Of course if you crack everything full on you can do more harm but you shouldn't need to do that anyway.

500watt at 8ohm you get around 300watt of power.
[/quote]
Is the BH500 a 500w head or is it TC watts?
That's a genuine question as I don't know.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1398667714' post='2436235']
Is the BH500 a 500w head or is it TC watts?
That's a genuine question as I don't know.
[/quote]

As far as I know it is advertise as 500watt. The only thing I don't get it is when 3x BC cab is attach how the watt will be distributed.

[quote name='badboy1984' timestamp='1398669879' post='2436255']
As far as I know it is advertise as 500watt. The only thing I don't get it is when 3x BC cab is attach how the watt will be distributed.
[/quote]
I think it's either the cabs don't actually run at the stated Ωs or the head runs lower than 4Ω (or maybe a mix of both).

[quote name='Electric Wizard' timestamp='1398671677' post='2436268']
I've been reading a lot that the BH500 is 500 TC watts, which is actually around 236 watts rms. They have some circuitry that makes it sound like 500 watts ( whatever that means :))
[/quote]
I know the RH heads are 236w. 500w doesn't really have a sound though & for the amp to go twice as loud as 236w, it would need to be 2360w.
I'd imagine a 200w Orange head into an 8x10 can sound a good bit louder than my Markbass 2x10 combo (which is rated @ 300-350w at 8Ω) due to more drivers potentially moving more air.

I don't really believe their is magic on TC heads. The head is advertise as 4ohm minimum load and the BC 2x10, 2x12 is ohm and the 4x10 is 4ohm.

In theory you can only run two BC2x10 or 2x12 and one 4x10, but TC head can run three BC2x10 or BC2x12 and two BC 4x10. Which bring the minimum load less then 4ohm.