Why become a member? ×

Nile Rodger's/Chic. Savoir Fair.

bubinga5

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the groove of Chic are my bread and butter. but when i hear music like this, it just blows me away. my sister was playing it this morning and his guitar playing never gets boring. i just think his playing is something very special. [/font][/color]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUNXI9HDCD4

Edited by bubinga5

'Nard & Nile were a class act alright; in fact Nile is reason I've started playing guitar seriously.
In my foolishness I have formed a Disco band just so I can play guitar with lots of Chic stuff......little did I realise how tricky it is to play many of Nile's parts.
Many of my mates have said.....'you're mad to try and start playing guitar in a Disco band as first six-string role; try some punk or rock first'......it's taken some time to get the parts licked; but worth every frustrating & rewarding moment.

PS. 'Nard is reason I own the natural '79 Stingray with black scratchplate that is behind my avatar picture....I saw it on wall of Macaris on Charing Cross Road, London and said...'that's Bernard's bass!'....I tried it, fell in love and swapped a '79 Jazz and a fretless '75 Precision for it immediately and never looked at another bass for 20 years.

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1395922211' post='2407927']
'Nard & Nile were a class act alright; in fact Nile is reason I've started playing guitar seriously.
In my foolishness I have formed a Disco band just so I can play guitar with lots of Chic stuff......little did I realise how tricky it is to play many of Nile's parts.
Many of my mates have said.....'you're mad to try and start playing guitar in a Disco band as first six-string role; try some punk or rock first'......it's taken some time to get the parts licked; but worth every frustrating & rewarding moment.
[/quote]good on you Bassnut. i love the thought of music inspiring people. i think your mates are/were wrong. Nile Rodger's is one of the greats. a great interview with the master can be seen here. i get so much from what he says. i like him because he's a great thinker. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcAt5Dxshs[/media]

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1395934062' post='2408154']
good on you Bassnut. i love the thought of music inspiring people. i think your mates are/were wrong. Nile Rodger's is one of the greats. a great interview with the master can be seen here. i get so much from what he says. i like him because he's a great thinker. [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXcAt5Dxshs[/media]
[/quote]

Have you read his book?

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The 'Nard & Nile Magic!.... With Tony Thomson ..What a rhythm section ....life changing! [/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]......Really interesting watching the interview...... a great way to spend an hour & a half!... thanks! :)[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]'Carve out the space you want to live in!....'[/font][/color]

Edited by bottomfeed

Nile's book is a great read....definitely a wise man who's lived an extraordinary life.

Me too re Good Times, weird thing is I now don't know if I prefer playing it on bass or guitar....both parts are so good and so connected that it really doesn't matter; I just love being in that groove and wish I could play either part as well as Nard n Nile!

Thanks for the great interview with Nile, Bubinga.
We cover Get Lucky too, but I am only guitarist and been thinking how the f..k does he play that part! Now I know it's not just me and I can tell rest of band to stop complaining that the guitar doesn't sound quite right!

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1396131974' post='2410348']
b5, that interview was fantastic - I just sat and watched the whole thing, and loved every minute. Thanks for posting it.

The book is great, by the way, so look out for it.
[/quote]yeah I'm so with you Mr H. i found i fascinating also. he's one of the greats. I'm really glad you enjoyed it friend.

The interview is great, and I thought it was particularly interesting that he took issue with the guy who was clearly looking for Nile to agree with him about those who 'can't play properly' (studio nerdy kids with computers), not being valid in the musical process.

His book is excellent : well written, honest, frank and entertaining. He's lived a full and fascinating life, and his insights into the music biz and the disco scene in the 70s and 80s are great - a real sense of the excess and hedonism, in the days before AIDS. He's clearly a very sharp guy, and he's always made a point of taking care of business - something I suspect he learned on the NY scene when he was working as a backing musician. He didn't have the luxury of going straight to the mega bucks, and consequently has had the sense to make sure all his royalties are in order, and his copyrights protected : I won't spoil the story, but the anecdote about the 'friends' of the Sugarhill Gang's label paying a call to the studio is telling.

He seems to be enjoying a real renaissance, and it hope it continues, along with his remission from cancer.