Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision V

ashevans09

Got my grubby mitts on one of these a couple of days ago and wow is all I can say.

Built superbly, looked amazing and sounded like the mutts nutts (the B in particular). It had a lovely rocky tone to it and it preserved the P sound well :)

Haven't seen these in the UK yet though, anyone seen them hanging about? What you guys think of them? I loved it!

I read a review of one in the last issue of US Bass Player and watched a review of it (and the new range) on Bass Player TV about a month ago. I'm sorry, but it just looks wrong...Precisions should be four string. It's how it is. How it [b]should [/b]be. This is the first Precision Fender have made in a five-string version.

The company I work for regularly use the expression of 'denigrating the brand'...now I'm all for company products being innovating, using cutting edge tech etc., but the new Precision V is just unnecessary. Fender rehash their models to keep sales going (which is obviously working), so the new fives are clearly the next step. Expect a John Myung supported six string next year. Not really, I made that up.

Fender seem to be running out of ideas. Let's face it, on the solid body front, they have traded very well on the back of probably less than ten bass designs (and three or four basic pickup configurations!) in the last fifty-five years, just tweaking here, adding there. Love or hate companies like Ibanez, BC Rich etc., at least they're bringing new shapes etc. to the market.

Anyhow, as you gathered, I'm not keen on the new model.

P

Sorry NJ, I have to disagree. I love the Precision shape, but for me my regular gigging bass HAS to be five strings.

With this in mind, and the fact that I don't have the spare cash to fork out on a new Fender or Lakland similie, I have just bought a second hand Squier Precision V.

It has Jazz pickups, but for me it's the neck feel (I like cricket bats!) and look of the guitar that gets me. I am just waiting for the postman to deliver my custom build 5 string Wizard 84's for it. One day I might take a chisel to it and fit a proper split coil precision style pick up, but I'm not brave enough just yet!

I completely see what you're saying, but it appears there will alway be a niche market for Fender to exploit with traditionalists like me.

It's not just us bass players though, I once played in a blues band who kept pressuring me to change my Cort (Ibanez lookalike) because it was "too modern looking".

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='237861' date='Jul 12 2008, 11:32 AM']Sorry NJ, I have to disagree. I love the Precision shape, but for me my regular gigging bass HAS to be five strings.

With this in mind, and the fact that I don't have the spare cash to fork out on a new Fender or Lakland similie, I have just bought a second hand Squier Precision V.

It has Jazz pickups, but for me it's the neck feel (I like cricket bats!) and look of the guitar that gets me. I am just waiting for the postman to deliver my custom build 5 string Wizard 84's for it. One day I might take a chisel to it and fit a proper split coil precision style pick up, but I'm not brave enough just yet!

I completely see what you're saying, but it appears there will alway be a niche market for Fender to exploit with traditionalists like me.

It's not just us bass players though, I once played in a blues band who kept pressuring me to change my Cort (Ibanez lookalike) because it was "too modern looking".[/quote]

First off, I've no problem with fives at all - my primary bass was a Warwick Streamer 5 for a loooong time - I loved it, but as a Precision player for about ten years or so, in my opinion it's good [i]as is[/i], it's a design classic in the true sense...and it certainly doesn't need a rehash to accommodate that extra string.

I am to a degree a traditionalist. I think you hit the nail on the head where you said about Fender exploitation. Well put. I just want my instruments to be robust, functional and playable in solid colours...I've posted previously that I don't really dig basses that look like furniture and I'm really not so keen on these redesigns.

Anyhow, who am I? Nothing I can do to stop Fender :)
P

I can't comment on the new 5, but I have one of the new 4's. They really are stunning. You still have to try a couple to get a really good one, but it's the same with anything mass produced. The quality on mine is lovely & the sound is very different to the older, heavier S1 model. I don't know how they made it so much lighter, but the instrument has really changed a lot.

I gigged mine last night for the first time at a wedding & it cut through very nicely through the Sadowsky outboard preamp & sounded great. Go try an American Standard, you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='237838' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:43 AM']The company I work for regularly use the expression of 'denigrating the brand'...now I'm all for company products being innovating, using cutting edge tech etc., but the new Precision V is just unnecessary. Fender rehash their models to keep sales going (which is obviously working), so the new fives are clearly the next step. Expect a John Myung supported six string next year. Not really, I made that up.[/quote]
A chap called Robert Townsend wrote a book called "Up the organization" which includes a bit in this. He was running Avis, and there was a proposal to create a low-priced sister company to try to increase business. The board were asked for their opinions, and one of them said "I don't know what you call it, but we Poles call it pissing in the soup".

I can't see how bringing in a 5-string is pissing in the soup for Fender. They've already done that pretty effectively by introducing Squier. NJ does rather highlight a comparison I've made before between Fender and Harley - innovation is despised by a large proportion of the existing customer base, although it has the potential to bring in new custom.

[quote name='tauzero' post='239030' date='Jul 14 2008, 11:37 AM']A chap called Robert Townsend wrote a book called "Up the organization" which includes a bit in this. He was running Avis, and there was a proposal to create a low-priced sister company to try to increase business. The board were asked for their opinions, and one of them said "I don't know what you call it, but we Poles call it pissing in the soup".

I can't see how bringing in a 5-string is pissing in the soup for Fender. They've already done that pretty effectively by introducing Squier. NJ does rather highlight a comparison I've made before between Fender and Harley - innovation is despised by a large proportion of the existing customer base, although it has the potential to bring in new custom.[/quote]

It would be nice to see Fender bring out something radical and new that isn't based around their Precision or Jazz shaped bodies though, wouldn't it?
P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='239731' date='Jul 15 2008, 07:35 AM']It would be nice to see Fender bring out something radical and new that isn't based around their Precision or Jazz shaped bodies though, wouldn't it?[/quote]
It took Harley 80 years to bring out a V-twin that had a V-angle other than 45 degrees (which is an atrocious angle for a V-twin engine). So expect a neck-through Fender in around 2035.

I've got one!

It's basically fantastic. It feels great, consistent tone and volume, strings all have the right amount of tension (even the B string)... it's basically a really really good Precision but with 5 strings. I plumped for the Olympic White with Rosewood and Tort (never getting lost on stage again!) and it looks great. I ordered through Hartnoll Guitars in Plymouth who have the best prices on them and gave it a free setup. I don't know what it played like out of the box but it plays brilliantly now. I'd highly recommend Hartnoll Guitars for great service, prices and an above average courier.

I'm planning on sticking a Jazz pickup in the bridge position (suggestions?) and calling it a day. It has exceeded my expectations in almost every department. My advice to potential buyers would be to order NOW, as Fender may have really clamped down on QC at the start of this run, but as the basses stop getting reviewed they may get a little bit lax again. Just my theory based on Fender's past record on QC.

I might post a full review at some point, if I find the time and inclination. I'll at least try to get some pics up, as this thing is stunning. The bottom line of any review is that if you're interested you should BUY ONE. I bought without playing and wasn't disappointed.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='237838' date='Jul 12 2008, 10:43 AM']I'm sorry, but it just looks wrong...Precisions should be four string. It's how it is. How it [b]should [/b]be.[/quote]
I have to disagree. In terms of visuals, it won't matter to you when you're playing the thing, only when you're looking at it! When other people are looking at it, 90% of the public aren't going to care if your bass has 4 or 5 strings. I think the added functionality more than justifies the break from tradition.

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='239731' date='Jul 15 2008, 07:35 AM']It would be nice to see Fender bring out something radical and new that isn't based around their Precision or Jazz shaped bodies though, wouldn't it?
P[/quote]

You're a director of a huge multi national company. Market leaders. Your products are near enough the same as they were when they first entered the market 60 years ago. They've been industry standard since that time , and continue to sell in huge numbers. Your occassional forays into different design territory have not proved anywhere near as successful , indeed have met with crys from your customers to go back to basics. There are several successful smaller companies in your market catering for the desires of those customers who want something different and their customers aren't fans of your products and are unlikely to change their view whatever you produce.Many of the most successful of these companies are ones producing versions of your own classic designs. You have a highly successful operation producing cheaper versions of your main products to take advantage of the 'copy' market - these sell in droves to folk who want the original product you've always produced , with your name on it , at a low price.

Would you bring out something radical that isn't based round those main products ?? If I had shares in your company I'd be asking why.

I actually agree with you from a player point of view - but it's not going to happen anytime soon. I just noticed how many times I used the word 'successful' above. That's the thing you can't argue against - certainly opinion won't sway it.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Shockwave' post='239716' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:10 AM']See the only 5 string P that should be allowed is one thats not "classic"

One of the most gorgeous basses.[/quote]
Blimey, even I like it. That and the Roscoe Beck model are what I think a modern Fender should look like.

That would be nice if it didn't have that gold scratchplate-I don't think they look good on [i]anything[/i], at least not the horrible thick gold slab of plastic Fender use. I was going to say that I didn't like the writing on it either, but I think I'm right in saying that's just on the clear protective peel-off coat.

Edited by Deep Thought