Why become a member? ×

Stick with TC or buy something else

badboy1984

Currently using my Ashdown LB30 with the TC BC212. Sounded decent and alright but lack balls and volume for small gig. This is probably due to the Ashdown LB30 being 30watt. I have recently purchase a vintage Trace Elliot GP11 head which is 200 watt I believe for gigs when I can't use my LB30.

I would like to buy another cab to bring out a full power for the Trace elliot.

Not sure shall I stick with TC and buy another BC212 or swape the BC212 with the BC410 or buy something else completely.

My budget is very limited due to other committee so paying over £400 is way out of my budget.

Edited by badboy1984

For cost and budget the BC212 kinda make sense because I already have a BC212. I will be planning to use 2 cabs at once because I use 1 cab on my last gig and is not that loud but that could be because I'm using a 30watt head.

With the Trace Elliot head I could drive 2 of these BC212 for a bigger sound. We all know Trace Elliot head is loud and using 4x12 would be good i imagine.

The Trace Elliot amp is with Roland Lumby for a full service atm but I got a feeling that it will be loud enough on its own. My LB30 is loud enough with the BC212 but is not clean tone.

I will give it a try first, if is not enough i just add a second cab or just swape out for the 410.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1395659408' post='2404699']
Have you tried using the Trace with just the BC212 at a gig yet?
If not, it could well be loud enough (depending on your band) and would save you buying (and hauling) a second cab.
[/quote]

Totally agree with this. The Trace will be putting out a lot more power than the little Ashdown and a 2x12" cab should cover a lot of gigging situations. I'm assuming you're standing it vertically to get one of the 12's and the tweeter up near your ears.

To get more volume overall you should have a good blast at tweaking the mids and maybe even cutting the bass. Your amp will have to work much harder to pump out really low bass but if you can get some nice lower mids cutting through you should find it sounds, and feels, a lot louder on stage :)

I do stand the 2x12 vertically for hearing purpose and I tend to boost mid on live situation. The LB30 will start to get dirty if I match the volume with the band. I think I will give the Trace a try first before buying. Trace Elliot give me impression that they are very loud.

Or Replace the 2x12 with the TC BC410 which is 4ohms so the Trace will dish out full power to the cab?

Edited by badboy1984

You might even find the LB30 to be loud enough for gigging with two of those cabs!

Going 4 ohms will squeeze a bit more power from the Trace. Swapping an 8ohm 2x12 for a 4ohm 2x12 would only give you a very small increase in output... but adding another 8ohm cab as discussed WILL give a big volume bump, because as well as having extra power from the amp, you are doubling the surface area of the cones.

Edited by dannybuoy

I think a 30w head with a pair of 2x12" speakers is a very strange combination. It sounds like you may just have some severe GAS for a big speaker stack.

A 200w Trace into a single 2x12 should cover most gigs and if that isn't enough volume I'd go for a a more powerful head rather than opting to lug multiple cabs around.

There's very gigs that need more than a pair of 12's unless you're atimg large venues without PA support (and if you're playing large venues you should always have PA support!).