Why become a member? ×

Look after those pipes

spinynorman

We've just parted company with our singer, amicably, after nearly 10 years. She has a great voice, but a couple of years ago she started working with young children and going down with every virus and infection under the sun. We tried to get through it, but there's only so many times you can cancel a gig cos the singer has laryngytis. We thought voice coaching might have helped and offered to pay for it, but she wouldn't. Sad really.

Yes I know that feeling. Ive sang for years with no problems but since I have had kids I seem to pick up loads of colds and coughs. I am lucky now that in my 3 piece we share the singing so my guitarist could sing the songs I do if he really has to.
I think it depends on what style of music you play too. A lot of out stuff sounds better with a croaky voice!!

You are right though that you have to look after your voice but once a cold kicks in there is not much you can do about it. Hope you can sort out another singer quickly

Thanks for the sympathy. Fortunately we do have another singer lined up, and though she doesn't have such a powerful voice, she is very good. We thought about having a dep, but the band is named after the original singer, so we couldn't make that work. We will change the name to something less restricting and rise like a phoenix from the ashes. I hope.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1395320992' post='2401042']
What a shame that she wouldn't accept the voice coaching idea. I'm sure that would have helped her in her day job as well.

Anyway, good luck with the new incarnation of your band.
[/quote]

That was was what I thought. Singing 110% without a warm up can't be good.

And thanks. I'm hoping we won't need too much luck, but it still helps.

We have two gigs this weekend, and our very talented female vocalist also has laryngitis...counting down to first gig and hoping she can beat it. She's a seasoned professional and won't damage her voice, but also hates to let an audience down.

At the start of 2012 we had 9 months of regular gigs booked.
[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1395321389' post='2401053']
We have two gigs this weekend, and our very talented female vocalist also has laryngitis...counting down to first gig and hoping she can beat it. She's a seasoned professional and won't damage her voice, but also hates to let an audience down.
[/quote]

Fingers crossed, hope it works out.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1395321192' post='2401045']
And thanks. I'm hoping we won't need too much luck, but it still helps.
[/quote]

Good point, of course you shouldn't need luck!
A professor I worked for about 10 years ago insisted that in written communications to students prior to exams, we should never write 'Good luck for your exams', but rather 'I wish you success in your forthcoming exams'.
A nice turn of phrase which I have used at work ever since.

So...I wish you every success with your forthcoming musical venture! :) :)

Edited by seashell