Why become a member? ×

Cutting a swamp ash body with a jigsaw - What blade?

Dolando

Hello,

I have this body blank that I will be building soon.

[URL=http://s917.photobucket.com/user/DolanCustomGuitars/media/Dolan%20Custom%20Guitars%20Build/BodyBlank_zps86f0e39b.jpg.html][IMG]http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad17/DolanCustomGuitars/Dolan%20Custom%20Guitars%20Build/BodyBlank_zps86f0e39b.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

I don't have access to a bandsaw, so will be using a jigsaw with lots of relief cuts around the tight curves. I will probably be buying a bosch GST100 jigsaw, but I'm a little confused by what blade I should use to get the cleanest cut possible.

Anyone have experience with a certain blade that I should use?

Thanks,

Adam

That's a nice blank! Rather than trying a jigsaw is there anyone locally that might be able to cut the body out for you on a bandsaw? Cutting stock that thick with a jigsaw is a bit of a risk due to the blade flexing, even when you think you're a long way from the line. What I'd suggest (if you cant find someone with a bandsaw) is to cut it out around 1/2" away from the line with the jigsaw then follow with a template bushing on the router and a long bit using multiple passes. The bushing will leave a little extra which can then be trimmed with a bearing guided bit....or just include the bushing offset on your template

I agree with the comments about jigsaw blades bending such that they might follow the top line but could wander off track quite a 1-3/4 inches below.

Bending can be minimised by ensuring the blade is really sharp (maybe use more than one for the complete job) and cutting very slowly and not applying too much force to the saw, This allows the full length of the blade to cut evenly and 'straighten out' before being forced forward. More difficult to describe but you'll quickly get a feel for things. I'd suggest trying on a bit of scrap first though - that's too nice a piece of wood to ruin!

I don't think there is anyone with a bandsaw that I could ask. I haven't actually got a jigsaw yet, so am i better putting that money towards a table top hobby bandsaw?

If I go the jigsaw route, the blades I'm looking at come in a pack of 5, so i would probably use a blade for each quarter of the body just to be sure its a sharp blade. The router bushing idea is a good idea, so would definitely cut 1/2" away to be sure.

Theres room on the top right corner to do a couple of tests, which I will definitely be doing before tackling it. :)

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Some good advice here but to be perfectly honest you'll be just fine with a jigsaw if that's what you feel comfortable with. They are ok for trimming a few rough cutouts that you finish off with a template and router. The first couple of bodies that I cut were done this way. It can seem to take for bloody ever though because of the density and thickness of the wood and if you start to rush the job then you will definitely begin to lose your vertical cut. Just remember to take your time and let the saw do the cutting, don't force it.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1394527437' post='2392131']
Some good advice here but to be perfectly honest you'll be just fine with a jigsaw if that's what you feel comfortable with. They are ok for trimming a few rough cutouts that you finish off with a template and router. The first couple of bodies that I cut were done this way. It can seem to take for bloody ever though because of the density and thickness of the wood and if you start to rush the job then you will definitely begin to lose your vertical cut. Just remember to take your time and let the saw do the cutting, don't force it.
[/quote]

I'd feel comfortable with either to be honest, its just I could get a decent Jigsaw, but could only really afford a used Hobby bandsaw like an Axminster. So basically, with a jigsaw, 'slow and steady wins the race'.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1394527802' post='2392135']
I did several bodies with a jigsaw and a not very good one at that. If you buy a good saw and take your time it should be no problem.
[/quote]

Yea, I've been looking at the Bosch GST 100, which seems to get good reviews etc. and they're not too expensive used.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1394527802' post='2392135']
I did several bodies with a jigsaw and a not very good one at that. If you buy a good saw and take your time it should be no problem.
[/quote]
This.

I have only built one bass but managed perfectly fine with my heavy duty Bosch jigsaw. As has been already said let the router do the accurate shaping during the next phase.

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1394529545' post='2392159']
I'd feel comfortable with either to be honest, its just I could get a decent Jigsaw, but could only really afford a used Hobby bandsaw like an Axminster. So basically, with a jigsaw, 'slow and steady wins the race'.

Yea, I've been looking at the Bosch GST 100, which seems to get good reviews etc. and they're not too expensive used.
[/quote]

Just about the best piece of advice a well known luthier (Hi Alan :D) ever gave me was to not scrimp on tools. Always go for the best you can afford. You generally get what you pay for. If you plan on using using the jigsaw a fair bit after then I'd spend £100+ easy... but for occasional use a sub £100 or even second hand will be fine.
Btw a cheap band saw correctly setup can work amazingly well (and quietly in comparison)... the problem for us though is finding one with a deep enough table to accept a guitar body comfortably.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1394531709' post='2392210']
Just about the best piece of advice a well known luthier (Hi Alan :D) ever gave me was to not scrimp on tools. Always go for the best you can afford. You generally get what you pay for. If you plan on using using the jigsaw a fair bit after then I'd spend £100+ easy... but for occasional use a sub £100 or even second hand will be fine.
Btw a cheap band saw correctly setup can work amazingly well (and quietly in comparison)... the problem for us though is finding one with a deep enough table to accept a guitar body comfortably.
[/quote]

Yea, thats what i've always been told. I'd want to get a good one as i'll probably do at least couple of bodies with it, and its a handy tool to have around the house. I'll keep an eye out for a bandsaw, but will probably get a jigsaw.

Theres one of these being sold on ebay by axminster thats a returned item on for £170 delivered. Seems to get decent reviews, but as you say, the table isn't very big.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awhbs250n-bandsaw

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1394532571' post='2392229']
Yea, thats what i've always been told. I'd want to get a good one as i'll probably do at least couple of bodies with it, and its a handy tool to have around the house. I'll keep an eye out for a bandsaw, but will probably get a jigsaw.

Theres one of these being sold on ebay by axminster thats a returned item on for £170 delivered. Seems to get decent reviews, but as you say, the table isn't very big.

[url="http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-hobby-series-awhbs250n-bandsaw"]http://www.axminster...hbs250n-bandsaw[/url]
[/quote]

Ah, if you don't own either yet, I'd definitely go for the bandsaw, don't be afraid to buy used either as they last forever (unlike jigsaws). What you can do if using a small bandsaw is to draw your outline/attach template to both sides of the body, that way you when you cant cut any further because of the throat size of the saw, just turn the body over. That bandsaw you posted the link to has just under a 10" throat, which means that's the max width you can cut, a Jazz body (being one of the widest you're likely to cut) is around 14" but only across the bouts which you can get to easy enough as they're on the edges. The area you may find tricky is the cutaway, which is when you may need to flip the body over. As said above, even cheap bandsaws work very well, will cut straight and a lot faster than a jigsaw. Just buy a decent blade for it with a pitch of around 4tpi.

The problem with leaving too much wood on is that you will experience tear out if you aren't very careful, which is why I suggested the bushing to trim it closer. If you are thinking of shopping at Axminster their own brand router bits are very good, get the 3/4 top bearing guided one for cutting out your body...They make lovely shavings! Rather than dust which some cheap brands do.

Edited by Manton Customs

I did think that might be an issue. That bandsaw has been sold now, but I think if I'm going to be spending that kind of money on one, then i might as well hold off for a bigger one. There always seems to be plenty going up on ebay etc. so will keep an eye out. But if the right jigsaw goes for the right price i'll probably get it to get me started and do what you said with the bushing. :)

Are those the Axcaliber ones? I was tempted by one of those, but wasn't sure how good they would be for that price.

Thanks.

Edited by Dolando

[quote name='Dolando' timestamp='1394549388' post='2392548']
I did think that might be an issue. That bandsaw has been sold now, but I think if I'm going to be spending that kind of money on one, then i might as well hold off for a bigger one. There always seems to be plenty going up on ebay etc. so will keep an eye out. But if the right jigsaw goes for the right price i'll probably get it to get me started and do what you said with the bushing. :)

Are those the Axcaliber ones? I was tempted by one of those, but wasn't sure how good they would be for that price.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Yep, the Axcaliber ones, they cut very cleanly and tear out is rare unless you do something silly, the 3/4" one I use for bodies has lasted well so far too.

I have used a bandsaw that size and found it next to useless for cutting anything above 10mm in hardwoods. You cannot get enough tension in the blade to cut a body out the blade will wonder all over the place. I now have a good makita jigsaw and would use it for cutting out a body before a bandsaw that size. If the board you have is swamp ash the jigsaw will go through it fairly easily using a coarse blade with deep gullets to remove the sawdust.
With bandsaws the bigger the better. They can put more tension on the blade which makes cutting much easier. Small cheap saws have frames that just can't generate the tension needed to produce a consistent cut.
I use a 6mm blade on the bandsaw for bodies you need a narrow blade to cut a tight radius the width of the blade dictates the minimum radius it can cut. Try to force a wide blade to do a small radius cut puts all kinds of tension into the blade and guides.

Lots to think about for the future, but I think i'm holding off on the bandsaw for a bit till I can afford the one I want, so for now I'm going to get a decent Makita or Bosch jigsaw to make my first few builds. Then use my router with bushings and a template bit to finish the shape off. So unless anyone has specific blades I should try, i'll have a go with a bosch T101D.