Why become a member? ×

So I bought a Fodera...

JazzBassfreak

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1393860537' post='2385129']
If you don't mind me saying JBF, you did kinda invite these comments.

The time to worry about the dinks and open a thread was, imo, before you bought it.

Your comments have left several of us wondering why you bought it. That can't just be all down to us surely?

'The meaning of your communication is the response you get'

Peter
[/quote]

I bought it because I tried one a while back and fell in love with it. Seems a lot of you have jumped to the conclusion I didn't want the bass in the first place which is rubbish. I opened a thread because I received the bass with quite a lot of wear on it tbh abit more than I was expecting. Unfortunately for you I am also a member of bc, and can open a thread about pretty much whatever I please and strike up conversation. All I said was that if it was to go to a luthier who I trusted for restoration work, I would most likely mention about having the p pickup removed and have something more suited to my style put in. In the event of that the bass would probably still have the same value just maybe less interest due to it not being "factory/victor wootens specs". If I was to even dream of reselling I probably wouldn't do this. But no doubt this bass is a keeper. I worked my ass off for it and am going to play the sh*t out of it and enjoy it. I'm a light touch though so it will be looked after. As for buying a bass for £3500 that I'm "not entirely happy with" I am happy with it. Yes the pickup config could be better, but who said I'm not happy with it?

Well, this post has me (and many others too, it would seem) somewhat vexed!

But as it seems that you are not entirely happy with either the condition of the bass, or the pickup configuration; as has been said already, I would send it back!
If I had spent nearly £3500 on a bass, and felt the same way you appear to, I would not accept either of these issues, - let alone both!

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393850902' post='2384947']
Dunno mate. As you can tell by my name I'm all about the jazz. Just never been into p's and never really dug the sound. Maybe after a few bad experiences. But it's only personal preference eh. The old 60's and 70's p's I quite like, don't get me wrong. But the P bass is so ripped off nowadays every cheap guitar brand brings out a nasty basswood p bass, I suppose seeing all those ugly cheap things turned me against em a long time ago.
[/quote]why do people think BassWood is bad .? there is nothing wrong with BassWood, seriously I've played some kick ass Jazz basses that were BassWood bodied, its very similar to ash but without as much grain.

anyways, you got any more lovely pics of this Fodera.? :)

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1393862126' post='2385160']
Also a bit confused but hey... your bass do what you want :D

Personally I'd say go for a humbucker rather than J though. Just because a P takes up more space than a J and I wouldn't want a gap/a bit that didn't match :)
[/quote]

The nord big singles are quite wide so wouldn't be a gap, the luthier would inlay new wood anyway if I was to have it done :)

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393862686' post='2385166']
why do people think BassWood is bad .? there is nothing wrong with BassWood, seriously I've played some kick ass Jazz basses that were BassWood bodied, its very similar to ash but without as much grain.

anyways, you got any more lovely pics of this Fodera.? :)
[/quote]

Yes mate I'll put some up! Depends what basswood really. Basswood can range from solid unknown wood to MDF and chipboard

I can just about see scratches on the black area below the neck pickup but they look pretty minor to me and I bet can be quickly solved by any competent luthier at minimal cost if they continue to bother you (wouldn't worry me TBH; would probably make me happier to gig such an expensive bass!). That apart it looks to be in pretty stunning condition. Barrie/molan probably knows more about Foderas than the rest of this forum put together and I would listen to his advice about capturing the tonal possibilities - you may find you fall in love with what that P pickup can do (especially in combination with the J) and then its the best of all worlds - no extra costs on routing and no permanent diminution in re-sale value (which routing would almost certainly entail) :D

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393862858' post='2385168']
Yes mate I'll put some up! Depends what basswood really. Basswood can range from solid unknown wood to MDF and chipboard
[/quote] ? BassWood is a name for a species of Tree mate. also known as American Linden. ;) bit of nerdy info for you.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393864155' post='2385189']
? BassWood is a name for a species of Tree mate. also known as American Linden. ;) bit of nerdy info for you.
[/quote]

Well my ESP f series has a basswood body. It's definitely no solid wood, it's seriously like a piece of MDF with a nice top, I know this because I threw it off stage. :D

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393864617' post='2385199']

Well my ESP f series has a basswood body. It's definitely no solid wood, it's seriously like a piece of MDF with a nice top, I know this because I threw it off stage. :D
[/quote]

And it sounds shocking

Edited by JazzBassfreak

[quote name='JazzBassfreak' timestamp='1393864617' post='2385199']
[/quote]im confused.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393865079' post='2385212']
im confused.
[/quote]

I think some companies use the phrase "basswood" as an unknown body wood. It does refer to the American Tilia, but on more than one occasion I've bumped into basses with a "basswood" body that are definitely not a solid sturdy wood.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1393865596' post='2385220']
possibly because its a softer wood, so can be easily dinged. Companies usually use a hard laquer/paint as to rectify this. Like the Bongo. thats made out of basswood.
[/quote]

And yet still amazing basses. Dam I loved the bongo 4 in stealth I used to have, absolute killer bass