Why become a member? ×

I've got an Ibanez itch that I can't scratch

col.decker

Howdy, col.decker.

I use an Ibanez SR800 solely and as much as they are great basses, they can be really rather thin in comparison to something like a Jazz bass. Although, they're great things to learn stuff on. I ended up swapping the stock pups out on them for Bartolinis, it's still a bit thin on tone. It's not something I'd use for a disco or funk gig, for example.

However, don't let my experience dissuade you as there are countless guys out there who rock the Ibanez SR stuff and get a great variety sounds out. Gerald Veasley being one such person to do so. Feel free to PM me if you've got any questions too!

Edited by ChunkyMunky

[quote name='col.decker' timestamp='1393345708' post='2379046']
Namely for the SR1800 which comes in at a divorce inducing £990. Can anybody put me off them by telling me that they're rubbish, or failing that recommend a good back street surgeon who might want my kidney?
[/quote]They're rubbish, I mean really rubbish. They can't be heard and people poke fun at you because you're not playing a Fender.

OK it's a fair cop they are in fact pretty brilliant; I use an SR1605 and a GWB35 exclusively live (I do have a P bass and a 'Ray but they seem to stay at home) and I'm often get nice comments on the sound they produce. They are also light and we'll balanced so no need for osteopathic treatment after a long gig or rehearsal and the necks are pretty sweet too. Oh hang on, you didn't want to hear any of this did you? Oops!

[quote name='col.decker' timestamp='1393348233' post='2379102']
Curses it's as I thought then. Didn't know about the older MIJ ones though so I'll seek them out on t'bay.
[/quote]

They're easy to spot as they often have P/J pickups and tapered knobs with concentric rings and probably stacked controls. Serial numbers will start with F.

My main bass has always been my SR1000 that I bought back in 1990. Jap made & still going strong (though it's been completely stripped of it's black paint & I took the active electronics out about a year ago.

Used to look like this...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/2607131595/][/url]

& now looks like this...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/12775506913/][/url]