Why become a member? ×

new bass day 1987 ibanez soundgear 1000e

stu_g

picked this up today after winning it on ebay :)
spent most of the day cleaning the fret board and giving it some TLC it is in good original condition though.
the neck is so skinny its going to take a bit of getting used to.
and the colour?i think i like it.
pics:- [attachment=155950:sr1000e-3.jpg]
[attachment=155951:sr1000e.jpg]
[attachment=155952:sr1000e-2.jpg]

I generally like black above all other colours but that green is lovely.

Anyone know the difference between the 1000 and 800? I bought a '90s SR800 on here (black) and it just back from having the electrics sorted and back to stock. I have to say it has caused some seismic shifts in my mindset because it is actually totally brilliant. I knew it would be light, I knew the neck would be skinny but I didn't know it would sound *so* good and feel *so* right. Not saying I'm out of love with my Precisions but I feel some two timing coming on.... :)

Great score, and it appears to be in beautiful condition! And it still has its original bridge. That Omni-Adjust bridge (it was actually a relabelled Gotoh 206, the Ibanez logo is an adhesive stamp plate) was one of my favourite bridges Ibanez has used throughout the years, but somehow many people found them too complicated and replaced them.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1393183836' post='2377123']
Anyone know the difference between the 1000 and 800?[/quote]

The difference between those late 80s 800's and 1000e's is mostly in the electronics, but there are some more details.
Back then, models 1000 and upwards had a contoured top and models below 1000 were flat. I think the woods are different too, the 800 had a basswood body whereas this 1000e has an ash body, and the fingerboard on the 800 was rosewood whereas this 1000e probably has an ebony board.

The old 800 had active low-impedance pickups with an active two-band tone control, whereas this 1000e has passive pickups with a filter-based preamp. The controls consist of master volume, pickup pan, an active EQ on/off-switch and a knob that lets you select the filter range of the EQ (Ibanez called it the Power Curve EQ).

I kinda miss my old '87 SR800LE now... ;)

Edited by LeftyJ