Why become a member? ×

Putting new preamp/EQ in Hohner Jack

Ticktock

I have been wanting new electronics in my jack. The artec se2-a looks like a like for like replacement but then I saw this...
http://www.thomann.de/gb/emg_btc_control_2band_eq_1poti.htm

Since the pups are emg, does anyone know if this would be a suitable replacement for the stacked pot already on the bass or do I need to go the whole hog and buy something different, am I barking up the wrong tree with this idea?

I hasten to add that this is a GAS remedy as it will definitely stop me from buying a bass. Honest.

Are they active EMG's ? If so I'd go for one of the EMG preamps.

This one is rather cheap, and good ....

http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2eguitarandampshop%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=control%20bqc&PN=EMG%2dBQC_Bass_and_Treble_EQ_Control_for_Electric_Bass%2ehtml%23a1833#a1833

That Artec preamp will not work with active pickups, it is designed for passive pickups and, unfortunately, with passive and active pickups and preamps you cannot mix and match.

I put an Artec in mine when I had one. Fitted fine, and sounded great, but the shafts on the stacked tone pot were too thick for the original Jack knobs, so I had to buy a close match replacement set. The Artecs are the 'standard' 6 & 8mm diameter

• 4 years later...
On 22/02/2014 at 19:23, hamfist said:

That Artec preamp will not work with active pickups, it is designed for passive pickups and, unfortunately, with passive and active pickups and preamps you cannot mix and match.

May I ask, why not? Usually buffered outputs are lo-Z and inputs are FET-based very hi-Z. This is match made in heaven. Even passive pick ups have relatively low impedance compared to FET-inputs, so I can not see problems here, either.

Unbuffered piezos may face inputs that have too low impedance and there you can hear how the low end vanishes.

I hope they sound good, I’ve just ordered one! I’ll try keep the switch in place, though redunant, for looks. But, I will try and get the LED to light up; shouldn’t be hard to splice into the circuit somewhere. I’m thinking of buying a set of EMG HZ pickups to replace the old ‘select’ pickups.

I do need a new battery compartment though, mine has a broken lid!

Also, I read that these preamps could be used for both active and passive pickups.

I don't think there's too much wrong with the Select pickups. I've had both the jazz style and the guitar humbucker sized  ones in the jack  basses, and they sounded fine. I  have the 35hz pickups  in my current fretted bass, and I don't think they have as much  output as the humbuckers but tonally are similar, ie. pretty  neutral, clean sounding.