Why become a member? ×

I dont get it

ARGH

Bradford Rios shut down? Ah that was a great place to play. Shame.

Anyway yeah I am totally making assumptions about what you sound like based on the fact you have a 9-string bass, and yeah it's prejudicial and ignorant and all that, but it's based on the only context I have: What I've seen other people with bonus-stringed basses do with them. And other people are probably going to jump to the same conclusions, that's all I'm saying.

Anyway I had intended to be asleep about an hour ago. Damn internets...

[quote name='wombatboter' post='236270' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:01 AM']I just noticed that indeed I have a beard, play fretless and that I like fusion ! :)[/quote]
Then you are treading a dangerous path sir.
I have more than 4 strings so I obviously spend all my gigs tapping.....

[quote name='ARGH' post='236837' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:00 PM']To be honest Jase,I think Ive fallen out of love with playing.[/quote]

Nah, it's always there, although I get what you mean, I sometimes have terrible rows with my playing or even more so with a particular bass. Think of it like this.....if your ability to play, write, perform, etc, were taken away for ever...surely you'd want it back? In which case I reckon that would mean you haven't fallen out of love with being a bass player/musician...even if you think you have.

It'll come together, I think lots of us feel we're at a stagnent stage at some time or another. FWIW, I'm at a rut at the moment, hate the covers band I'm in, original project is costing loads and nobody is interested....but do we stop? NEVER!!! NEVER!!!! :)
I'm 40 and I'll still be shouting "bass rules" when I'm 70 and I reckon you will to.

[quote name='Jase' post='236853' date='Jul 10 2008, 08:23 PM']Nah, it's always there, although I get what you mean, I sometimes have terrible rows with my playing or even more so with a particular bass. Think of it like this.....if your ability to play, write, perform, etc, were taken away for ever...surely you'd want it back? In which case I reckon that would mean you haven't fallen out of love with being a bass player/musician...even if you think you have.

It'll come together, I think lots of us feel we're at a stagnent stage at some time or another. FWIW, I'm at a rut at the moment, hate the covers band I'm in, original project is costing loads and nobody is interested....but do we stop? NEVER!!! NEVER!!!! :)
I'm 40 and I'll still be shouting "bass rules" when I'm 70 and I reckon you will to.[/quote]
yeah,spent last night in a rehearsal room teaching the 'Drummers mate' who plays guitar the parts,and cues for how we play the songs...hes lernt our set..we've been assured (Has he f***). COvers..If it was not for the money,we wouldnt do it?!

I've read through most of this, and there's a lot of issues. I think I can distill all of them down to this:

1. If you're a professional musician, why are you pharting around on the amateur scene?
2. If you're an amateur musician, why do you want to be treated like a pro?
3. If you're an amateur musician and you want gigs, DON'T turn up for auditions with anything other than a 4 or 5.

Simple, innit?

:)

[quote name='Astronomer' post='236879' date='Jul 10 2008, 09:03 PM']I've read through most of this, and there's a lot of issues. I think I can distill all of them down to this:

1. If you're a professional musician, why are you pharting around on the amateur scene?
3. If you're an amateur musician and you want gigs, DON'T turn up for auditions with anything other than a 4 or 5.

Simple, innit?

:)[/quote]
Quite....
1,Was..sort of..and the so called 'Pro's' piss me about,or there isnt any openings (But I cant give up,maybe I just have not looked).
2,Because I am a star darrrrrlllliiinngg...seriously,You get paid,you are pro,if only for an evening.
3,Good advice.

[quote name='Astronomer' post='236879' date='Jul 10 2008, 09:03 PM']I've read through most of this, and there's a lot of issues. I think I can distill all of them down to this:

Simple, innit?

:)[/quote]

Wonderfully succinct and eloquent, sir, I salute you!

On another tip, I reckon if Chi Dai Cheng can get away with four strings, anyone can.

[quote name='ARGH' post='236862' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:29 PM']yeah,spent last night in a rehearsal room teaching the 'Drummers mate' who plays guitar the parts,and cues for how we play the songs...hes lernt our set..we've been assured (Has he f***). COvers..If it was not for the money,we wouldnt do it?![/quote]

That's an annoying thing, when a player reckons they've learnt the set and quite clearly they haven't, fair enough if said player is capable of doing it there and then but when it turns into a "teaching of parts" session the whole rehearsal can become a drag.

[quote name='ARGH' post='236837' date='Jul 10 2008, 08:00 PM']To be honest Jase,I think Ive fallen out of love with playing.[/quote]

Take your bass to bits, replace the pups, replace the bridge, spray it a new colour. Don't pick up any other basses until the work is complete. This should give you at least two weeks of bass-playing-free time, and when you pick it up again you'll find most of those old bad habits are a lot weaker than they used to be.

1. If you're a professional musician, why are you pharting around on the amateur scene?[/quote]

Because when music is a "profession", by definition it means you'll play any old sh*te for the money. "Professional" musicians suck the soul out of music, and should be collectively bludgeoned to death by amateurs like myself who aren't willing (note: "able" is not an issue) to play weddings every weekend spewing out whatever sh*te the unwashed masses are eager to consume.

I can't believe people can be smug about playing sh*te for a living. I may not make a living playing bass, but at least when I pick up a bass it's not to make money out of it. I still do it for the right reasons.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='237006' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:19 AM']Take your bass to bits, replace the pups, replace the bridge, spray it a new colour. Don't pick up any other basses until the work is complete. This should give you at least two weeks of bass-playing-free time, and when you pick it up again you'll find most of those old bad habits are a lot weaker than they used to be.

Because when music is a "profession", by definition it means you'll play any old sh*te for the money. "Professional" musicians suck the soul out of music, and should be collectively bludgeoned to death by amateurs like myself who aren't willing (note: "able" is not an issue) to play weddings every weekend spewing out whatever sh*te the unwashed masses are eager to consume.

I can't believe people can be smug about playing sh*te for a living. I may not make a living playing bass, but at least when I pick up a bass it's not to make money out of it. I still do it for the right reasons.[/quote]
How old are you?

[quote name='ARGH' post='234700' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:59 AM']Im gonna take 6 months out,mothball my gear,think about my options ... probably quit...take the money and run.[/quote]May I be the first to say "FFS don't do it, you WILL regret it in the long run"..?

OK.
[size=3][b]FFS don't do it, you WILL regret it in the long run.[/b][/size]

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='237006' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:19 AM']Because when music is a "profession", by definition it means you'll play any old sh*te for the money. "Professional" musicians suck the soul out of music, and should be collectively bludgeoned to death by amateurs like myself who aren't willing (note: "able" is not an issue) to play weddings every weekend spewing out whatever sh*te the unwashed masses are eager to consume.
I can't believe people can be smug about playing sh*te for a living. I may not make a living playing bass, but at least when I pick up a bass it's not to make money out of it. I still do it for the right reasons.[/quote]Oh for god's sake, we're not going to get sucked into the old "covers vs. originals" thing are we? Personally I can't believe how self-righteous and holier-than-thou some people can be about the whole idea of playing weddings or other functions, assuming that it's a case of just cranking the handle and turning out another cover and spending the whole gig just waiting for buggering-off-home time. Maybe some of us actually[i] like [/i]playing covers to a big eager crowd? At one date a couple of years back, we spewed out sh*te to an unwashed mass of 3000 people... their reaction & enthusiasm was better than sex.
OK so I'm not actually a pro, but you're talking about the sort of stuff I (and an awful lot of enthusiastic players like me) play. If I give you my address, perhaps you'd like to pop round and try to bludgeon me to death? :)

ARGH, mate I'm sorry for going so off-piste but I couldn't let that pass.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='237006' date='Jul 11 2008, 01:19 AM']I can't believe people can be smug about playing sh*te for a living. I may not make a living playing bass, but at least when I pick up a bass it's not to make money out of it. I still do it for the right reasons.[/quote]

I absolutely can't agree with that [he said politely]. My reasons for playing bass [in public] are the right reasons for me at this stage in my life. I spent years doing my time in originals bands getting nowt for playing, getting messed around by venues and promoters. Even when we were doing well [small distribution deal etc] and had supported a very large US band we still struggled to get gigs and when we did we got next to nowt even when playing fairly busy venues in Leeds with punters paying to get in. With 2 young kids, I couldn't justify playing now if I didn't get paid [excepting the charity gigs we do of course].

[quote name='Adrenochrome' post='237076' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:12 AM']I absolutely can't agree with that [he said politely]. My reasons for playing bass [in public] are the right reasons for me at this stage in my life. I spent years doing my time in originals bands getting nowt for playing, getting messed around by venues and promoters. Even when we were doing well [small distribution deal etc] and had supported a very large US band we still struggled to get gigs and when we did we got next to nowt even when playing fairly busy venues in Leeds with punters paying to get in. With 2 young kids, I couldn't justify playing now if I didn't get paid [excepting the charity gigs we do of course].[/quote]

Same here, I WILL NOT play for nothing. My latest pass on a gig is a support slot for Status Quo in Merthyr Tydfil, my band will carry on with the gig but they'll use another bass player for the day, simply because who ever runs the QUO event doesn't see fit to pay local support, I imagine Stuart Cable's band Killing for Company and Hixie Dixie are getting paid for the gig....so why not us? They can shove it! .......Bands/musicians deserve payment.

[quote name='Jase' post='237090' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:38 AM']Same here, I WILL NOT play for nothing. My latest pass on a gig is a support slot for Status Quo in Merthyr Tydfil, my band will carry on with the gig but they'll use another bass player for the day, simply because who ever runs the QUO event doesn't see fit to pay local support, I imagine Stuart Cable's band Killing for Company and Hixie Dixie are getting paid for the gig....so why not us? They can shove it! .......Bands/musicians deserve payment.[/quote]

Good man, I keep promising myself I won't play for sod all but I keep getting suckered by bullsh1t like 'it'll be a laugh' or 'they'll get us loads of paying gigs if they like us'.

Hope your stand-in breaks a string ;-)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='237072' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:09 AM']How about you give ol' Chiefy your address and he'll pop round and give you a nice deep-tissue massage?

Extras 20 quid.[/quote]

Warning: The vaunted 'extras' are in fact an Irn Bru bar and some of those 1 portion hotel soaps.

Argh - you sound miffed. Why don't you just put the bass down for a month? You sound like you need to 'go big or go home', and unless you're really excited and energised about making a big putsch, I'd suggest you relax and recharge for a bit....

[quote name='bremen' post='237092' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:43 AM']Good man, I keep promising myself I won't play for sod all but I keep getting suckered by bullsh1t like 'it'll be a laugh' or 'they'll get us loads of paying gigs if they like us'.

Hope your stand-in breaks a string ;-)[/quote]

Cheers bremen, it can get awkward, as you well know....sometimes you feel as if you're letting the side down....but support slots like the one mentioned....surely there's a few quid being made by the big boys?

[quote name='Jase' post='237117' date='Jul 11 2008, 10:16 AM']Cheers bremen, it can get awkward, as you well know....sometimes you feel as if you're letting the side down....but support slots like the one mentioned....surely there's a few quid being made by the big boys?[/quote]

I'm still grumpy following last New Years Eve gig - the pub charged £10 to get in, was packed solid, and we were grudgingly allowed one guest per band member. We must have drunk 200 quidsworth of beer between us, and we got f*** all for our trouble. Because if the landlord liked us he might give us another gig. Which we're still waiting for.

I found a tenner on the floor though :-)

[quote name='bremen' post='237125' date='Jul 11 2008, 09:25 AM']I'm still grumpy following last New Years Eve gig - the pub charged £10 to get in, was packed solid, and we were grudgingly allowed one guest per band member. We must have drunk 200 quidsworth of beer between us, and we got f*** all for our trouble. Because if the landlord liked us he might give us another gig. Which we're still waiting for.

I found a tenner on the floor though :-)[/quote]

Makes you sick doesn't it! I hope that was the landlords tenner :)

[quote name='Rich' post='237036' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:08 AM']playing covers to a big eager crowd? At one date a couple of years back, we spewed out sh*te to an unwashed mass of 3000 people... their reaction & enthusiasm was better than sex.
OK so I'm not actually a pro, but you're talking about the sort of stuff I (and an awful lot of enthusiastic players like me) play. If I give you my address, perhaps you'd like to pop round and try to bludgeon me to death? :)

ARGH, mate I'm sorry for going so off-piste but I couldn't let that pass.[/quote]

+1!

I got sick of the politics of originals, so I'm having a break and churning out covers for hideous sums of cash (compared to my day job, my originals band etc etc...it's all relative!) and I freakin LOVE it!

I'm playing for playings sake, getting out there, getting experience and gettin the chance to make people enjoy and appreciate music!

IF you can make it in an originals, IF you get to be the next big thing, then funking fair play to y'all. BUT I got fed up with missing half a day of PAID work, to travel 200miles thru sh*t traffic to get to a 5pm soundcheck to be told "you're on at 11, and it's 30mins set MAX!" for no money, then fail to get a deal, not because the songs/image/band etc aren't good, it's that you're not a clone of the Arctic freakin Monkeys, or McBusted.

Bitter, Moi?