What's wrong with my new bass? :(

Sarah5string

hi s5s,

these good chatters have given you great advice:

pup height
active and eq
battery
fret buzz

maybe you should return it to the shop? the folks there can check it out and advise you thereon. best to do this now so you don't mess up your warranty and, if you end up in a consumer conflict, you will have a time line started as evidence.

andy

[quote name='cheddatom' post='233949' date='Jul 7 2008, 09:38 AM']Your bass has active volume and eq controls yeh? Turn them down to a quarter up and try it.[/quote]
It does seem better, still does it if I really pummel the bottom string but that might be from it getting to close to the pickup.

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='233966' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:01 AM']They're all metal and 3 have black dots on them. There's 5 all together.[/quote]

Oh ok, All i can say if you can turn them, Experiment with them! Just find the settings you like! usually they are marked.

It's cos it's pointy init!!

no help....sorry...everyone has it covered it seems.
My 2 pence: Gut the electronics and put a decent preamp in (Aguilar, East etc) and Dimarzio p'ups in it!

Si

[quote name='Sibob' post='233978' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:14 AM']It's cos it's pointy init!!

no help....sorry...everyone has it covered it seems.
My 2 pence: Gut the electronics and put a decent preamp in (Aguilar, East etc) and Dimarzio p'ups in it!

Si[/quote]
Ah.... you've obvuously never seen me attempt to solder.... :)

[quote name='Sarah5string' post='233975' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:11 AM']I've also just noticed that the pups seems to be set higher on the low end side.. not sure if that would make a difference but I'm straightening them anyway lol[/quote]

that could well be it as you say it mainly does it on the E string. if it still does it after lowering it then best get it back to where you bought it, even if it does turn out to be something simple then at least you are covered.
also try one other new battery as the old one you tried could have been too low in power and the new one just duff, unlikely i know but it does happen.

Contrary to what was said in this thread I have never had an active bass with a trim on the preamp gain. I know some actives have this, plus also trims on mid frequency, but it is by no means universal.

Is this your first active bass? If it is then you should use the tone controls carefully. The treble and bass may have a notch in the flat position. Most do but some (Musicman) do not. Set flat active basses are often no hotter than passive basses. I always start with my basses set flat and EQ on the amp to get the room sound I want. Then when I am playing I can adjust the tone for different sounds if required. Want more top, turn up the treble, want dub, boost the bass and cut the treble. You get the idea.

What you must also beware of is that boosting the bass in particular, but also mid and treble, will significantly increase the output (most actives have 15 dB of cut and boost - thats a lot!). So if you boost the tone controls to alter your sound you must cut the volume to compensate.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='238736' date='Jul 13 2008, 08:33 PM']Good stuff! I really want a pointy five string that wont cost an arm and a leg. I dont even play metal, i just think they look cool as tits.[/quote]
I haven't seen many pointy 5'ers out there.. but the sound from my dean is fab and I'd recommend it to anyone!