Why become a member? ×

Victor Wooten at the jazz cafe last night...

I don't kmnow if any of you were there, but the jazz cafe was packed to the seams! Excellent support trio from Canada & Victor & co were on top form, playing for almost two and a half hours. My pupil James got some great pics (more pics to come later when I get copies) during and after the gig where we got to meet the man himself, but here's a little taster... Oh and if you look at the bottom pic, I got my S2's control plate signed. Pity it's on the inside, but at least it won't rub off :)

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Content-wise they did mainly the stuff from the new album, Palmystery, but the gig was none the worse for that. Victor deals with hecklers extremely well, too. There was one guy who started singing near the front, so Vic made it part of the show and sang along with him! Interestingly, the back up bass player is an amazing player. He did a couple of fine Marcus-esque solos. Victor's looped solo where he adds notes (not necessarily in the right order) to a sliding scale is very comical to see live.

I was so up for that... ...but unfortunately, Iron Maiden were playing the same night and I had to make a hard decision.

Sounds as though it was awesome. I was particularly gutted as I would loved to have seen Reggie live, but there you go.

But Iron Maiden ruled, so I guess it was a win/win situation.

[quote name='simondee' post='233697' date='Jul 6 2008, 06:29 PM']It was awesome. Shame they came on so late, had to leave early to catch the last train :)[/quote]

Why do they always do that? Does my head in! Do they think everyone is lucky enough to live within walking distance of central London?

[quote name='Mike' post='233837' date='Jul 6 2008, 10:59 PM']Why do they always do that? Does my head in! Do they think everyone is lucky enough to live within walking distance of central London?[/quote]

It happened to me at the recent Stanley Clarke gig, I only got to see two songs, he walked past me at least an hour before he started to play.

It was amazing.
I wasn't sure how much I was going to enjoy it as I'd had a long week, I was tired and I find most of Victors' songs (i.e. the ones where he sings) very cheesy. I thought it could go either way.

But the band was incredible. Anthony Wellington was great and Victors solo was something else.

And I bet that drummer feels like on of the luckiest drummers in the world getting the gig for the SMV tour. Stanley, Marcus and Victor. Can't wait for the album and I hope they come over to the UK, rather than just doing mainland Europe.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='233923' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:53 AM']It happened to me at the recent Stanley Clarke gig, I only got to see two songs, he walked past me at least an hour before he started to play.[/quote]

Luckily I was able to attend the whole Stanley gig, but I had to leave Hiromi and her band at Ronnie Scotts before they'd finished. Most annoying.

[quote name='truegeminis' post='234000' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:49 AM']It was amazing.
I wasn't sure how much I was going to enjoy it as I'd had a long week, I was tired and I find most of Victors' songs (i.e. the ones where he sings) very cheesy. I thought it could go either way.

But the band was incredible. Anthony Wellington was great and Victors solo was something else.

And I bet that drummer feels like on of the luckiest drummers in the world getting the gig for the SMV tour. Stanley, Marcus and Victor. Can't wait for the album and I hope they come over to the UK, rather than just doing mainland Europe.[/quote]

Absolutely...well worth the money and effort. The whole band were on it. Shame about the guy who felt it necessary to join in with Vic solo piece ("The Lesson") but I guess he was over come by the phenomenon that is Victor Wooten.

Vic mentioned a tuition video he has shot with Anthony Wellington explaining the musical elements from his book, "The Music Lesson". Did anyone catch the name of it?

Yes, Anthony Wellington's bass is a Fodera single cut 5 string. Really nice looking thing & probably about £4000 worth as well!

As for the amorous couple, yes I saw them. You were about 10 feet from us.

We (my pupil James & I) got some video footage which I should have by the end of the week. I took some but lost it as my N95's battery went flat and the phone rebooted so I've only got about 42 seconds of "The Lesson." More later on in the week :)