Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fender Modern Player Jazz V

Si600

The four string is monstrous, corking bass for the money.

Not played the 5 string yet. I suspect as long as the B string is not too flabby sounding; it's a winner.

I was looking at these then spotted a Status Groove for sale and I've been after one.

The satin one with the high mass bridge and roscoe beck style pickups is the one I'd go for, the glossy predecessor was a decent bass, but this newer model is bonkers.

Got to be honest here, and say that I was completely underwhelmed by the sound when I got my MP. All the reviews were saying "like a Jazz, but with extra girth", all I heard was a Jazz with a marginally bigger waist-line squeezed into the same sized trousers, but it also looses some of that Jazz "zing", which is the reason you buy a Jazz.

The bass itself is well made and everything, it just doesn't deliver sound-wise IMO.

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a new Modern player Jazz 5, I really like the way it plays and I love the string spacing. I am not too keen on the sound though, it's just a little low gain and lacks punch, admittedly my main bass is a Stingray 5 HH, so I realise I can't compare them. I'm wondering about what to change, I think I'll start with a new preamp first, probably a John East but I'll figure that out later. It certainly is great to play, so I think it will be worth working on the sound.