Why become a member? ×

oops...:(

the other day i took my jazz apart to tclean maintain and set i tup , on the way i filled and painted the strap whold and created another one, as the old one was getting loose, however when i attempted to take the precision pull off style knobs off, i pulled two of the shafts out of the pots, can this be fixed, or are new pots needed?? i never had this problem before as i was using proper jazz bass style ones, however i thought id see what this type looked like,

im actually gutted coudl anyone hlelp me???

thanks

marcus

Even if you could fix the pots, you probably couldn't trust them again, so it would be far better to replace them. They aren't that expensive, though paying someone to fit them would be a bit more.

It's a simple fix. Just make a note of where all the wires go, then detach the pots , buy new ones (take the old ones into a store so you get the right replacements) then solder in the new pots.

There's a "soldering 101" video on YouTube and a soldering kit can be had for £10-15. I was terrified of soldering, but bought a kit and practiced on a couple of bits of wire (my wife help a well as she's done some soldering before). Now I'm not great at it, but I can maintain the electronics in my instruments.

Good luck!!

To tell the truth, soldering is a piece of pish. There's also a very good Fender spare parts website, if you need the address for it I can get it from my G*it****t as he collects Fender junk (no offense intended). PM me if needs be & I'll get you it & put it on here.

PS, buy a decent soldering iron & some decent solder, it will be worth it in the long run.

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' post='233431' date='Jul 6 2008, 01:40 AM']To tell the truth, [b]soldering is a piece of pish[/b]. There's also a very good Fender spare parts website, if you need the address for it I can get it from my G*it****t as he collects Fender junk (no offense intended). PM me if needs be & I'll get you it & put it on here.

PS, buy a decent soldering iron & some decent solder, it will be worth it in the long run.[/quote]

So long as you have a powerful soldering iron :)

Getting sufficient heat into the large surface area of a pot requires a decent iron. I'm sure that will be covered on one of the links above along with the fact that it pays to give the surface of the pot a bit of a scuff with emery paper to prep the surface for easier/better contact.

• 4 weeks later...

im so happy,

i brought two new pots today, a soldering iron, solder, a new set of 40-100 strings and lemon oil...

and got to work. i firstly drew the old wiring diagram , and then took the old pots off, cleaned the chrome plate, and bolted the new pots into position, then soldered all the wires back on, then cleaned the frets with brasso, lemon oil on the fingerboard and fast fret bringing the fretboard up like new, the i used turtle wax to polish the striped down neck and body before assembling all the parts back on, including tuners, scratchplate e.t.c.

i then put on the strings and tuned it in, i have to admit i am so proud of the work i have done, its the first major job i have done on my basses and when i plugged it in and i worked i was over the moon :).

i will try and get some pics up soon :huh:

thanks for all the advice and stuff

marcus

[quote name='marcus bell' post='253113' date='Aug 2 2008, 02:14 AM']im so happy,

i then put on the strings and tuned it in, i have to admit i am so proud of the work i have done, its the first major job i have done on my basses and when i plugged it in and i worked i was over the moon :).

i will try and get some pics up soon :huh:[/quote]

:huh: You'll be pimping next..... Its inevitable!