Why become a member? ×

lakland dj5 or dingwall combustion ii 5?

jassbass

Both are worth the money if you find a good example, but they are very different animals with their own idiosyncrasies. .

The DJ is essentially a traditional passive Jazz Bass , and sounds exactly that. The Dingwall is a more generic modern bass, and sounds that way. In terms of feel , the Lakland has a 35 inch scale, so be aware of that and make absolutely sure you like that fact and can live with it. The fanned frets and varied scale length(s) of the Dingwall are also things you should try to make certain that they suit you.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1391637223' post='2359710']
I've just tried a dj5 and loved it.going to try and buy it
[/quote]
I haven't even been in the same room as a Dingwall so I cant help regarding that instrument...but I have owned a DJ4 (Aero pups) and it was by far the best Jazz bass that I have ever owned - and I have owned some nice vintage F'ers.

I tried many fivers against each other (around 12) and chose a Lakland over the others. But that was my hand and fingers, my ears, etc. you need to try and find what suits you best. Also bear in mind that what sounds good soloed might not work best in a live situation (if applicable of course). Ultimately both are very nice pieces of kit and you won't go too far wrong with either.

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1391612557' post='2359214']
Just really want a good punchy mid tight sound and punchy
[/quote]
[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1391637223' post='2359710']
I've just tried a dj5 and loved it.going to try and buy it
[/quote]

If you have played one and like the sound and, just as importantly, the feel of it then you really can't go wrong with a Jazz Bass -style instrument , especially if you want a tight, punchy sound with strong mids. One of the (many) great things about the Jazz Bass is that it is so versatile that it will suit just about any style of music. I've never played a Dingwall , so can't comment on how the feel, but the sound , whilst great in its' own right, is very different and very modern and " processed" in comparison to the more hefty sound of the Lakland. Those Hanson pickups on the DJ sound very beefy, with a lot of cut.

Edited by Dingus

You need to do a direct head to head (or rather bass to bass) comparison to see what best suits you. I would try a DINGWALL before ruling it out!!

I had a German Warwick Corvette 5 and a Goodfellow 5 for over 10 & 20 years respectively both excellent basses but they never got used.

Last year I bought a Dingwall AB and now use it all the time. Best Low B I have heard, lightweight and punchy!

Good hunting!