Why become a member? ×

Flat Tyre rhythm

Happy Jack

I've been offered a chance to audition for a decent blues band with regular gigging.

The band leader says, and I quote: [i]If you are okay with Shuffle, Swing and Flat tyre rhythms there should be no problem.[/i]

Before I say "No problemo, matey" perhaps I should find out what a [i]Flat Tyre rhythm[/i] is. I'm guessing it refers to the noise made by a flat tyre when you try to drive on one ... b'dum b'dum ... b'dum b'dum ... b'dum b'dum.

Can anyone help me out?

I've been in blues bands for a long time and I've never heard of a "flat tyre rhythm", but if you can play shuffle, swing, blues rumba (eg Albert King's crosscut saw) and a Bo Diddley rhythm you can play any blues number.

Radio Two has a series on Bo Diddly at the mo and last night's one went into where the Bo Diddly rhythm came from. Listen again here
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/doc_bodiddley.shtml"]http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/doc_bodiddley.shtml[/url]

I like the bit where Bo tries to differentiate between his beat and its totally identical predecessors "it's a different melody" :)

Wikipedia on the Juba / Ham Bone/ bo didly rhythm here
[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_dance"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juba_dance[/url]

No mention of flat tyres though.. I'll be interested to know what they mean.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='233075' date='Jul 5 2008, 11:05 AM']Theres a section about this groove in Ed Friedlands 'Bass Grooves' book. I only scanned it but as far as the bass goes it just looks like walking.

You can download the book here:
....................................................[/quote]
Its not really cool to post a link to pirate content :)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='233269' date='Jul 5 2008, 06:55 PM']Aha OG a Napier Deltic :)

Peter[/quote]

Ha ha yeah...
30 years after stopping being a train spotter I just found out about the deltic engine (rather than the loco of the same name - or, indeed - the Chris Rea album :huh:) What an amazing thing that is ...
Just trying to get the gif to load and run as my avatar :huh:

Edited the link but I think that people make a ridiculous fuss over electronic piracy, its an inevitable fact of modern life and many organizations are now taking advantage and cashing in on this new avenue of culture.

As far as this one example goes, most people who would have bought the book anyway would still buy it (like I did), perhaps some would be more likely to buy it after seeing inside it. Anyone who wouldn't have bought the book still wont, but they might now read it.. as an author having more people read my work is something I would want to happen. All it takes is a google search to find anything anyway.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='233857' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:27 PM']Edited the link but I think that people make a ridiculous fuss over electronic piracy, its an inevitable fact of modern life and many organizations are now taking advantage and cashing in on this new avenue of culture.

As far as this one example goes, most people who would have bought the book anyway would still buy it (like I did), perhaps some would be more likely to buy it after seeing inside it. Anyone who wouldn't have bought the book still wont, but they might now read it.. as an author having more people read my work is something I would want to happen. All it takes is a google search to find anything anyway.[/quote]
I would like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

[quote name='Oscar South' post='233857' date='Jul 6 2008, 11:27 PM']Edited the link but I think that people make a ridiculous fuss over electronic piracy, its an inevitable fact of modern life and many organizations are now taking advantage and cashing in on this new avenue of culture.

As far as this one example goes, most people who would have bought the book anyway would still buy it (like I did), perhaps some would be more likely to buy it after seeing inside it. Anyone who wouldn't have bought the book still wont, but they might now read it.. as an author having more people read my work is something I would want to happen. All it takes is a google search to find anything anyway.[/quote]

I agree 100% but you are putting BC at risk by breaking the law. If I want to offer or help people find illegal material, I will do so in a discreet and private nature so as to avoid any potential complications. You are right in principle, but this is not the place IMHO.