Why become a member? ×

cambridge rehearsal space?

escholl

[quote name='escholl' post='235039' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:52 PM']anyone at all? or does no one live near cambs :)[/quote]

I live in Cambridge and would love to be able to help but unfortunately property is so damn expensive here that even cheap places are scarce (have you tried down Fen Road?) and I know of no freebies.

Good luck - let me know if you find anywhere!

[quote name='bremen' post='235043' date='Jul 8 2008, 03:56 PM']I live in Cambridge and would love to be able to help but unfortunately property is so damn expensive here that even cheap places are scarce (have you tried down Fen Road?) and I know of no freebies.

Good luck - let me know if you find anywhere![/quote]

do you mean the lockup? we've got a rehearsal there tonight, i think, but i've not been yet so i don't know how big the rooms are, cheap though.

may have something sorted with the uni i go to, but they've been taking almost two weeks to get back to us now so who knows. not looking good.

has anyone tried flightpath or halfton studios? just looking for alternative, really. been to mulletboy a few times but it's too expensive and very much less-than-amazing.

I'm also looking for some rehearsal space, but less specific about the whereabouts. If you were to draw a straight line between Luton and Northampton, thats the kinda area (or near to) that I am looking for.

Anyone know of anything nearby? Anything from an empty room to a village hall I guess. I want to explore all the options!

[url="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=from:+Luton,+Bedfordshire,+UK+to:+northampton&sll=52.696361,1.362305&sspn=15.533323,31.289063&ie=UTF8&ll=52.07613,-0.499878&spn=0.982475,1.955566&t=h&z=9"]Its not a straight line![/url]

[quote name='escholl' post='235773' date='Jul 9 2008, 03:11 PM']do you mean the lockup? we've got a rehearsal there tonight, i think, but i've not been yet so i don't know how big the rooms are, cheap though.

may have something sorted with the uni i go to, but they've been taking almost two weeks to get back to us now so who knows. not looking good.

has anyone tried flightpath or halfton studios? just looking for alternative, really. been to mulletboy a few times but it's too expensive and very much less-than-amazing.[/quote]

The lockup sounds pretty good, and plenty spacious for a five-piece with keyboards and big drumkit. Last time I was there a year ago the vocal PA was a bit crap. Bit scary leaving at midnight (mate was mugged for the ladder on top of his van!)

Flightpath is truly horrible; terrible acoustics for bass (basically it's a garage) and smells of mould. Vocal PA is laughable (two cheapo 'wedges' nailed to the wall and an underpowered mixer-amp).

I don't know halfton. I've heard that mulletboy has two rooms with no soundproofing between them.

Which uni? There are a couple of rooms at Churchill. Maybe recruit a tambourine player who just happens to be a grad there?

[quote name='bremen' post='237426' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:20 PM']The lockup sounds pretty good, and plenty spacious for a five-piece with keyboards and big drumkit. Last time I was there a year ago the vocal PA was a bit crap. Bit scary leaving at midnight (mate was mugged for the ladder on top of his van!)

Flightpath is truly horrible; terrible acoustics for bass (basically it's a garage) and smells of mould. Vocal PA is laughable (two cheapo 'wedges' nailed to the wall and an underpowered mixer-amp).

I don't know halfton. I've heard that mulletboy has two rooms with no soundproofing between them.

Which uni? There are a couple of rooms at Churchill. Maybe recruit a tambourine player who just happens to be a grad there?[/quote]

haha ok thanks, you've saved me from going to flighpath! mulletboy is not amazing, actually its terrible, and the most expensive of all the places i've been. they're not very nice either, and they stole one of our really nice (although old) double-braced pearl cymbal stands and won't give it back. cause you know, drum hardware is sooo cheap. NOT. they are however, at least a proper recording studio and not a garage, even if all of their equipment is not so great and their rooms not particularly amazing either.

lockup sounds a little scary at night, we were supposed to go wednesday but then one of the guitarists and the drummer decided they cba, so there was no point in me and the other guitarist going, esp since we'd have to walk there. definitely will be planning to go back now though, based on your recommendation :)

the uni i go to is ARU, there's rooms there that are empty like, all the time but the admin is a joke so actually getting something organized is going to take a while. maybe if ARU spent a little less money on advertising EVERYWHERE and more on its students, it'd be a much better place haha :huh:

[quote name='thedontcarebear' post='237397' date='Jul 11 2008, 03:47 PM']Try somewhere in Milton Keynes, it's in the middle of those 2 places, although strangely isn't actually showing on the map you linked to.[/quote]

Smart. I'll take a looksee

[quote name='escholl' post='237439' date='Jul 11 2008, 04:44 PM']haha ok thanks, you've saved me from going to flighpath! mulletboy is not amazing, actually its terrible, and the most expensive of all the places i've been. they're not very nice either, and they stole one of our really nice (although old) double-braced pearl cymbal stands and won't give it back. cause you know, drum hardware is sooo cheap. NOT. they are however, at least a proper recording studio and not a garage, even if all of their equipment is not so great and their rooms not particularly amazing either.

lockup sounds a little scary at night, we were supposed to go wednesday but then one of the guitarists and the drummer decided they cba, so there was no point in me and the other guitarist going, esp since we'd have to walk there. definitely will be planning to go back now though, based on your recommendation :)[/quote] yes, the sound is good at the lockup.

[quote]the uni i go to is ARU, there's rooms there that are empty like, all the time but the admin is a joke so actually getting something organized is going to take a while. maybe if ARU spent a little less money on advertising EVERYWHERE and more on its students, it'd be a much better place haha :huh:[/quote]

I know a few ARU students/grads and they ALL say the same about the admin.

They used to be called Anglia Polytechnic University and had a poster campaign: Make It APU In 2002. I really looked forward to the following year's version: Have A Wee In 2003.

[quote name='charic' post='237566' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:12 PM']Hey im an ex ARU student :) what course are you on? Mulletboy is alright but a tad pricey. If you want a cheaper place and can drive the practice rooms at wyton are worth a look. Infact i have practice next week there.[/quote]

i'm doing audio tech & electronics, just finished my second year. how do i find out more about the wyton rooms? you'll have to forgive me if it's a simple answer as i'm a bit drunk :huh:

think their called "studio rooms" ah i was on audio and music tech, just finished this year. Gud lad on being drunk :huh: thats the APU way :) (itll always be apu) or the kwik-e-mart uni :huh: haha gr8 stuff. Admin there is definately questionable luckily i slipped through that fine, sum friends werent so lucky.

Pm me details of your band etc maybe we can gig 2getha :huh: