Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

fEARful/greenboy cabinets

umcoo

Hi all,

Does any have any experience of the fEARful line of cabs? Seems they're pretty big across the pond and on Talkbass, but not much over here. I see that speakerbuilder.co.uk offer the kits to make them at pretty good prices, but I can't help but think I'd make a real hash of building my own cab :lol:

Cheers all

Hi, i built and still use one of the first 15/6/1 in the uk, since then i have built a 15 sub to go with it.
They are easy to build and use the best components.
The sound is truly amazing but very realistic, as everything that you put in comes out including all the bad signal chain and any weak spots in your playing.
But after 13 years with ashdown it was lifting a 2 inch blanket from the speaker, any effects just sound great.
I built mine from italian poplar and weighs about 44 lbs! The sub is lighter still.
Its a no brainer really.
P.s i am not a ashdown basher, i have just moved on to better things.

Thanks for the comments all.

jimrs2k - yeah, I've read that on the greenboy forums about how everything can be heard and there's no 'colouring' to hide behind.

stevie - yeah I wouldn't bother with a tweeter either.

Marvin - If I did do this, I'd look at either a 1212/6 or a 15/6. Drivers aren't cheap though :/

Hi, you say no tweeter but remember these are not crappy piezo units, they are high end compression tweeters on a really good horn and controled via a variable l pad,
Please do not think they sound harsh in any way and also allow for a range of playing styles and instruments as they were also designed for use with keys and drums in mind.
Then if you play a precision with tape wound or flats all the time then you have no use for any type of tweeter, but for what they cost i would allways fit one.

I've used that 18sound tweeter/horn combo in some stage monitors. It is a decent unit especially for the money. Still, adds a kilo or more and another 40-odd quid with extra crossover components. Could always start without and add at a later date if its absence was felt.

Jim did you carpet your poplar ply? I've tried both Italian and Chinese and found both to be very soft, making a durable painted finish problematic compared to birch or generic far eastern hardwood

I assembled the kit to build a 15/6/1. This eventually ended up being designed and built for me by Shermann Sound Systems. Very good results, seemed remarkably similar to the Barefaced Big One I owned. Whilst they are great cabs the cost of components is now such that I suggest waiting for a used one to appear here. My former Big One cost less than the components and has moved on several times at a very reasonable price. When (if ever) you come to sell you will retain more value with a known 'branded' speaker.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.
Not sure if I'll get told off for this post. But here goes ........
Me and my partner have just become authorised builders for greenboy cabinets and are taking orders for the new FEARLESS range in the UK. Only available, until now in the US.
If you're interested and want to talk more please visit our page.
www.facebook.com/trickyaudio

Thanks
Guy
(TrickyAudio)

• 2 months later...

I am in the final throes of building a 12/6 and 12sub pair. It isn't hard provided you have the right tools, and provided you can cut the wood accurately (or get someone to do that for you as a flat pack). The most important tools (IMHO) are several bar clamps... These are the huge clamps used to hold the major panels together whilst the glue cures, and you will really struggle without them.

Hope that helps.

PS me and a mate took the original designs and modified them ever so slightly to allow better stacking, and used routing to gut alignment grooves on major panels. This definitely helped.

PPS: as you have noticed, don't expect this to be a cheap process! The drivers and electronics are expensive, but I suspect you are getting what you pay for.

Agree with the above. Self builds and builds by authorised builders are rarely a cheap option in the UK. The cost of drivers, wood and other parts is sky high here so you can quickly find yourself in Aguila / vanderkley / berg price range if you're not careful.
That said I've built heaps of greenboy cabs and they do sound good. I do however think the new Bill Fitzmaurice simplexx cabs are a really strong contender now too.