Why become a member? ×

I may be wrong, but Ashdown 'Woolliness'...

Jono Bolton

Am I right in thinking that the "wooly" sound commonly associated with Ashdowm ABM amps is caused by the type of valve used in the pre-amp? I've used a MAG 300 head which doesn't have a valve stage, and it definitely didn't have a wooly sound to it.
If I am right, does that mean that replacing the valve would change the sound? I suffer from a lack of focus on my low E string, especially when I'm in Drop D.
The thought occurred to me the other day when I saw an advert for Watford Valves in a magazine, which reminded me of ahpook's For Sale thread for his Aria Platinum Drive pedal, where he said he'd tried out a few different valves because he didn't like the sound of the stock one.
Am I right in my thinking or have I missed the mark? I'm a novice when it comes to amp stuff really.

Edited by jono b

MB1. :)
Hello Jono!
Would probably be best to give Martin or Guy a call at Ashdown regarding this.I have never suffered this Wooly Syndrome,i would sugest you contact them before replacing a preamp valve as this will effectively null and void your Warranty!
ASHDOWN.U.K.....01245441155.. :huh:

I only really notice the dull sound on my E string, and I wont go stright into swapping the valve just yet, but it was more of a general query. Could swapping the valve give me more gain, a clearer sound, different tone depending on what tube I replace the stock one with?

Not convinced on that theory unfortunately. The valve is entirely bypassed unless the switch is enabled. And even if it is enabled - the Sovtek 12AX7 is used in dozens of models of amps worldwide, and I think the same problem would be apparent in those also.

My conclusion after experimenting heavily with the EQ is that the EQ 'flat' isn't really flat, the EQ controls more than rectify this and add the top end that people say it is lacking. Some people say the cabs colour the sound a lot too, I need to try this one out when I can get to one (might steal tonyfs EBS 410)

[quote name='jono b' post='232088' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:00 PM']I only really notice the dull sound on my E string, and I wont go stright into swapping the valve just yet, but it was more of a general query. Could swapping the valve give me more gain, a clearer sound, different tone depending on what tube I replace the stock one with?[/quote]
i would play around with the eq a bit more,i have to on mine as sometimes my d string is a bit duller than the rest,especially the lower i go.just a slight fiddle can make a differance!

[quote name='jono b' post='232088' date='Jul 3 2008, 04:00 PM']I only really notice the dull sound on my E string, and I wont go stright into swapping the valve just yet, but it was more of a general query. Could swapping the valve give me more gain, a clearer sound, different tone depending on what tube I replace the stock one with?[/quote]

the short answer is that yes, it could. however, to what degree of success depends on the valve chosen and even perhaps the particular circuit topology of the amp. Basically, there is really not one simple, solid answer.

for this situation, i would say the same thing everyone else has; to try everything else first, including EQ, etc. and if that doesn't work get in touch with ashdown for advice. :)