Why become a member? ×

Are Mexican basses really underrated ?

Notoriousm

Had an early nineties P mim from new for a couple of years, sure it felt like a twig compared to my 84 4003 I'd been using however sound men liked it and it was very easy to get a good sound from. I never really took to it though, didn't have a soul. But hey it was a good tool and did the job.

Thought i'd just say - I guess I lucked out on my mex P bass because it is amazing. The pickups are hot ! Strung it first with some D'Addario EXL's and the slap sound is niiice ! Then strung it with Thomastik flats and wow oh wow oh wow. Ontop of the sound, it plays like butter! :gas:

I own two, a wine red Mex Tele which is fine, nothing special, does what it says on the tin and suits my needs for a Tele, at the other end of the scale is my 50's Classic Precision, I have always said it is the best Precision I have ever played, it will be my last bass out

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1390522239' post='2346527']
A bass is either good or it isn't. Only you can decide, and it's got nothing to do with its country of origin.
[/quote]

This. I've played a few Fenders and Squiers, and my favourite three are:
1. My MIM Standard Jazz bass. Even the pickups are great!
2. CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz. Everything was just right - although by the time I owned it the pickups had been replaced with EMGs :)
3. My CIJ Marcus Miller. Like the Geddy, immaculate build quality, feel and sound.

Honourable mentions to a Squier CV 60s P bass that I tried out pending a potential trade (thanks ghostrider!) and my old Squier Affinity P bass that I sold on here a couple of years ago.

I haven't played many US Fenders, but they have all been OK. For the extra cost I expected them to be better than the CIJs, MIMs and Squiers - but they just weren't (IMO).

But as others have said, you really must try a Fender/Squier before you buy!

In terms of guitars, I've had a MIM Strat, a Jap strat and a US strat.
The MIM was just a decent guitar made of slightly flimsier hardware and a narrower neck.
The Jap was precise but dead to me. The US (90s) was a dream purchase for me but I found the sound deadish. The neck was excellent but I found it hard to adjust to the slightly wider neck after the MIM.

The best value in the range, IMO, is the Classic Player. Currently got a Thinline Cabronita and the neck is outstanding!

Basswise - had a MIM Jazz and it was decent but I've had better from ESP/LTD.

I have a Squier CV Jazz and a MIM Jazz. The MIM is an OK bass, strung with Fender flats, sounds okay and does the job. The Squier has a high mass bridge as opposed the BBOT on the Mex, strung with D'Addario Jazz Flats and has a beautiful warm mellow tone.

My band mates prefer the sound of the Squier and for me the whole feel of it is better. (As good as the US Jazz I had before).

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1390559340' post='2346738']
Only hearsay, but I understand that more recent MIMs are much better than previous years. I have played Classic 50s Precisions, Roadworn Precisions and Jazzes and they are all superb quality. Also the MIM signature models e.g. Roger Waters, Nate Mendel and Geddy Lee basses get a lot of love too.
[/quote]

I bought dannybuoy's road worn mim precision. It is superb and possibly my favourite bass at the moment. This is high praise (from me at least) because prior to this I thought I didn't like p basses at all!

Recently I tried an American 2013 standard p bass. It looked good, sounded good and was put together superbly. No faults or anything, but It wasn't my thing tho and I much preferred my road worn (I guess it is a love hate thing).

I guess like most people say, try before you buy, if possible.