Why become a member? ×

Hello all

adam87

Hello

My name is Adam, I am 26, from Portsmouth. New to this forum and it's my first 'Bass' forum. Looked at talk bass in the US but I much prefer UK where possible! Got into playing the bass when I was around 12 or 13 I believe. My dad (who has no musical ability what so ever) tried me on an acoustic guitar with lessons to start with when I was 10 or so but I couldn't get on with it. So a few years later(give or take!) I mentioned I wanted to try the Bass guitar. A friend of mine lived two doors down and is the best drummer I know, seriously good. Plus another friend of mine played the guitar. So I thought I'd learn the bass. We went down to the local guitar shop, PJ's Guitars and I tried out a lovely Blue/Green Tanglewood rebel 4 string. I loved it! Obviously at the time I didn't know the difference between quality but it felt ok. On the spot the owner taught me the 12 bar blues and I picked it up instantly, my dad must of seen something and he bought me the bass along with a 25watt Marshall amp. I then played the 12 bar blues for hours and hours, didn't put the bass down for quite some time! I then progressed learning all my favourite songs and new techniques like slapping. I got pretty good and soon started to out play the Tanglewood as it were and felt I needed something a bit better. so at 14-15 years old-ish I was lucky enough to have a Warwick Corvette Standard 5 string bought for me through my school which saved 20% on the price. Bubinga Body with black hardware and upgraded basslines pickups. One of the happiest days of my life when I came home one day to find that triangular shaped box in the corner. I owned a Laney RBW300 combo but that broke and wasn't loud enough for band practices in our school studio we used to hire out as a band. So eventually I got a Trace Elliot AH600SMX with a 1510 cab. WOW. I wouldn't give it up for any new amp. Blew the guitarist out the door! That was a long time ago now. But I've missed the bass and the technical challenge so I'm back. Plus my old friend who played guitar now runs a local pub and has jam nights so I thought I'd get back up to a decent level to get involved. Main Influences in my school and college days were Dirk Lance from Incubus, Flea and a few other rock bands like rage against the machine. I still listen and play to them now. I'd never sell my bass or amp even though the bubinga body does get very heavy at times! I've attached a some Pictures of my bass, amp, and my only picture I have playing my ever only gig at the Wedgewood Rooms. Hope to speak soon and get involved!

[attachment=152851:Bass.jpg]

[attachment=152855:bass2.jpg]

[attachment=152852:238_49170345857_8696_n.jpg]

[attachment=152853:trace.jpg]

[attachment=152854:wedge.jpg]

So, Hello :)

Hey Adam,

Welcome, man!
That was a nice read too.

[quote name='adam87' timestamp='1390256521' post='2343341']
I much prefer UK where possible
[/quote]

We all do. The US'ers amongst us do. The Marklar from Marklar do.

[quote name='adam87' timestamp='1390256521' post='2343341']
Blew the guitarist out the door!
[/quote]

Let it be a lesson for everyone aspiring to become a BC member: [b]THIS[/b] is how you introduce yourself on a bass players' forum!
;)

Enjoy!

best,
bert