Why become a member? ×

Jimmy Haslip's solo on 'the fifth' - what's going on ?

ambient

I'm doing a lot of transcribing at the moment.

One of the ones I'm doing is Jimmy Haslip's solo on the Allen Holdsworth song 'the fifth'.

It's a live version from the 'blues for Tony' album.

Here's the start of the solo -

[url="https://soundcloud.com/ambientbassist/02-the-fifth-copy"]https://soundcloud.com/ambientbassist/02-the-fifth-copy[/url]

I've slowed it down using transcribe, what's going on with the first note ?

It sounds odd at normal speed, but here slowed down it's as if he's trilling between another note at a ridiculous speed.

I have the album, and I just put The Fifth into iRehearse and slowed it to 50%. I can't hear anything like your soundcloud link, the notes are single hits, so I reckon it's your Transcribe software glitching. It would be bordering on superhuman ability to tremelo that fast, even the fastest Flamencos wouldn't be able to.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1390202479' post='2342460']
I have the album, and I just put The Fifth into iRehearse and slowed it to 50%. I can't hear anything like your soundcloud link, the notes are single hits, so I reckon it's your Transcribe software glitching. It would be bordering on superhuman ability to tremelo that fast, even the fastest Flamencos wouldn't be able to.
[/quote]

It does sounds like one of those [font=courier new,courier,monospace][glitch(ˈɡlɪtʃ)|minimal][/font] albums I listen to!

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1390234207' post='2342919']
Here's the normal speed version.

[url="https://soundcloud.com/ambientbassist/02-the-fifth-copy-1"]https://soundcloud.c...he-fifth-copy-1[/url]
[/quote]

Good grief !
Why do you need to slow that down by 50% ? :lol:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]Only kidding, it does start to get a bit hairy later. :D[/size]

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1390239752' post='2343022']
Good grief !
Why do you need to slow that down by 50% ? :lol:

Only kidding, it does start to get a bit hairy later. :D
[/quote]
I was trying to work out what was going on at the 3rd bar of the solo that's not actually in the bit I put on sound cloud. But that first part is quite noticeable at 100% speed, I was intrigued at what he was actually doing. It's not just one note.

Edited by ambient

To me that first note (at normal speed) sounds like one heavy 'dug in' note against the fret on a very low action, not Flamenco style or trill.
The slowed down version really just sounds like software related. Some do extreme tempo manipulation better than others.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1390243695' post='2343104']
I was trying to work out what was going on at the 3rd bar of the solo that's not actually in the bit I put on sound cloud. But that first part is quite noticeable at 100% speed, I was intrigued at what he was actually doing. It's not just one note.
[/quote]

Trust me, it's NOTHING like what your 50% recording is. It's not that stuttery sound that came from your glitchy software. Try slowing it in iRehearse or similar. I slowed it 50% and it sounds like what lowdown suggests, at 25% it sounds like he's hitting it with two fingers together so he gets a fast slapback echo effect.