Why become a member? ×

Genz Contour 500 or Roland Cube 120XL?

odysseus

Hi guys and gals, I'm looking for a combo for smaller gigs. I've just been reading tobiewharton's thread about combos and the Genz Contour seems to get a lot of love. The other one I was looking at was the Roland Cube 120XL. I haven't heard any mention of the Roland, so I was just after a few opinions before I take the plunge. I play mainly rock 'n' roll in my current band, but a funk capability would be good too. Would I be right in thinking Genz is the way forward?

Many thanks

Rob :)

The Roland amps are very good, but usage seems to be more focused on them for home/rehearsal use (I had a Micro Cube for ages which was very good) rather than as gigging combos. I also had the DBass 115 and 15 extension cab, and they were really good amps, but they seem to be terminally unfashionable as gig backline, which is a bit of a mystery, because I found mine to be great (it was stolen, otherwise I might still have it).

The Genz stuff is amazingly cheap right now because of the Fender buyout, if you were ever going to do it, now would be the time. I use a Streamliner, which I love.

+1 for Genz Benz - I have the CTR500-210T, very happy with it and although I haven't tried a Roland Cube I'm pretty sure the Contour combo would be ideal for you for gigs in small venues especially with an extension cab to give you the full 500 watts (if needed).

From my limited experience, you can expect the Cube to sound slightly more compressed and in-yer-face, which might suit your style.
However, the Genz is regarded as a fantastic combo, and it is dirt cheap right now. It will probably sound airier, roomier, and more detailed. Add a pedal for noise.

From my impression, I'd go for the Genz plus a pedal without even thinking twice. They're less than 300 quid these days.

Edited by BassTractor

I have a roland D-bass 210 at the moment it's great, and in terms of technology a lot more high end than the genz benz combo, the cube combos aren't as powerful I think but have a fair few bells and whistles on them - like muzz says really really good gear- for some odd reason very unfashionable. I like my D-bass combo a lot, that said I do plan to be selling it in a few weeks so what do I know! :)

[quote name='cartlidge1993' timestamp='1390161598' post='2342193']
Used Roland all the way through my college years as we were endorsed by them, wouldn't recommend to anyone.

I've heard Genz stuff is the Bee's Knees so I'd go with that!
[/quote]
really ?
I gigged a Roland D bass 210 for a few years & found it to be a brilliant piece of kit.

• 2 weeks later...

The contour is a brilliant thing. I've just bought the combo and ext cab from BD and it's crazy that I paid less than £500 for the pair. So many capabilities, for both live and studio. I haven't played through a Roland so can't comment, but having gigged the genz, I can't recommend it enough..... Brilliant bit of kit!

Edited by Hoppo75