Why become a member? ×

4 or 5 string?

DSBass

If I am going to have one bass only, and want as much versatility as possible, to play pop, rock, aor, hardrock, rnb, soul etc. Would I be able to do it with a 4-string or would I be better of with a 5-string?

Thanks//Daniel

Edited by DSBass

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1389897969' post='2339340']
A 5 string is far more versatile...... but why limit yourself to 1 bass?
[/quote]

I will have at least 2 basses in the future but right now I cant afford to have more than one.

Unless you get a wide necked 5 string bass you'll find the string spacing a few millimetres less than with a conventional 4 string bass. Now this might not be a problem but there again it might, it depends on your playing style (I'm thinking of slap in particular) - some people find they just cannot get along with narrow string spacing and many others are turned off by wide necks. Doubtless you'll want to try both 4 and 5 string basses but I can't ever imagine a decent player losing a gig because they don't have a 5 string bass with a low B or a high C.

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1389900326' post='2339389']
You can do almost anything with a 4 string, but it's a fact that a 5 string will give you extra notes which is the reason I mainly play 5 string; so I can be as versatile as possible. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, its so good to have when you need it. Especially I think for aor music type Toto and such.

Spent 25 years with 4s...moved to a fiver because of the style of music about a year ago...have never looked back and I'm now
Next to hopeless on a 4...if your starting out I'd go 5 string,..but it's all down to how you feel about neck width and string spacing...
I've just bought a Yamaha trbx 505....really nice neck....