Why become a member? ×

Do i need a new/better bass?

Twincam

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1389898674' post='2339355']
You probably don't need a new/better bass, but if you want it, providing it doesn't impinge upon the maintenance of the roof over your head or the regularity of your meals then go for it.

If it's street cred you're after then don't buy a Gibson bass - you'll be met with a mix of disbelief, confusion and ridicule in about equal quantities ;)

A Gibson SG will feel kinda familiar to you and I guess the addition of the bridge pickup will give you some variety, but for a complete change of sound it's probably best to go in a different direction. Fender Mustang will be completely different to the EB-0 but equally limited with the single pickup (but that sound might be exactly what you're looking for). If you think you could stretch to 32" scale then there's the Squier VM Telecaster Bass Special, which has a Wide Range humbucker at the neck and a Jazz pickup at the bridge.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkcmO1DunDU[/media]

Just some ideas.
[/quote]Parp, Thanks for that, the 1st minute and a half or so is very nice and the baroquey outro. :)

First you should think about if you got a new bass - would it replace your existing one or would it be in addition to it?

You may find that answering that question may help you look at the options.

A replacement may be something that is similar in most ways to your EB0 but gives that extra range of tones you want.

An addition might be something completely different that you like for a whole heap of reasons different to why you like your current one.

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1390381971' post='2344625']
....You [i]always [/i]need a better bass.....
[/quote]

+1

The trick is to get a bass that it just a little better than your technique can manage and a lot better in tone.

If the OP just wants more tone (an EB0 does have its limitations) get an outboard preamp.

If you're generally pleased with the EBO, you could consider some upgrades - a Supertone bridge would address your concerns with the limitations of the 3 point (though I've not experienced the same problems as some on here with the Gibson bridge), and DiMarzio offer a replacement pick-up that should offer more power and clarity and less 'mud' than the standard Gibson/Epiphone unit. That said, there is a better choice of short-scales around now and a Mustang may fit the bill and give you more options. If you're really flush, there are some fantastic high-end options for short-scale players (for example, Brian Eastwood, Lakland, Alembic, Spector) - these basses have none of the tonal limitations frequently associated with short-scale, and all of the benefits. As Bertbass suggests, a Danelectro could be worth a try - a bit of a hollow honk for me but I love the look and playability of the longhorn (and if you can stretch to - and find - a Jerry Jones, you can get a beautiful hand-built variant).