Why become a member? ×

How to store an old (70s) P-Bass neck?

Skol303

I've just taken delivery of a 1973/74 Fender Precision neck: one piece maple.

It's going to be used as part of a 'year of birth' build sometime this year (when I turn 40!). For the time being it's going to be living in our wardrobe at home.

My question is: do I need to tinker with the truss rod while it's being stored? There's a lot of conflicting advice about this online - so I thought I'd best seek a definitive answer from people I trust. That being you lot :)

It currently appears straight and my gut feeling is just to leave it alone and check it every couple of weeks for upward/backward bowing - and if so adjust the truss rod accordingly.

Or should I slacken the truss rod straight away?

It's obviously an old neck and I'm just a wee bit cautious about messing with it.

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers!

I'd keep checking it for a while. Obviously if it's straight right now with no tension, then there must have been a considerable amount of relief while under tension. If it's just come off a strung bass, I'd be checking it daily over the next couple of weeks and if there is any indication of developing back-bow I'd take the strain off the truss rod.

If it's been lying off a bass for a considerable time and is now straight, then it has settled and you need not do anything except check that the truss rod still has some play left in it.

G.

Thanks guys!

I've been checking the neck daily since I got it (on Wednesday last week) and so far it seems pretty much stable. It had a very slight back bow when I first checked it - maybe just over 1mm or so towards the nut end when laying a metal ruler along its length; the bow starting around the 3rd or 4th fret. The truss rod seemed quite tight, almost maxed but then I didn't dare give it a good twist to test it ;)

I've since loosened the truss gradually by 1.25 full turns (loosening it by 1/4 turn each time) and the back bow has relaxed to maybe 0.5mm at the nut. But to be honest it's not hugely different to when I first checked it. I'm going to give it a final 1/4 turn tomorrow for good luck and then leave it be.

I bought the neck off a friend of mine in the US who builds vintage Fenders as a hobby (he has four 70s 'bitsa' basses himself). The neck came off a '74 bass - he kept the body and I got the neck and tuners, which are currently detached. It's 4cm at the nut, so I think that makes it an A neck? Seems nice and slim for a Precision.

I've since wrapped the neck in a towel and bubble wrap, which is how it will now lay mummified until further notice.

One quick question: what's the deal with keeping it flat? I'd previously kept it propped upright... is that a bad idea and if so, why?

Thanks again for your input. I know I'm being incredibly anal about all this! But with it being such an old neck I'm feeling extra cautious.

Cheers,

Paul

I think you're probably doing the right thing as you are. I don't think flat or propped up makes much difference. The pressure of its own weight agaist a wall is insignificant compared to that of the truss rod.

personally I'd losen the rod off totally as its got no strings to give the force that the rod is designed to pull against. But as long as you keep an eye on it to make sure there's no real change you should be ok.