Why become a member? ×

Alembic mark king

marcus bell

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1390773079' post='2349410']
Well I'm not gunna lose any sleep over it put it that way, but a discussion about a particular brand of bass guitar has somehow ended up in an argument... Again
[/quote]
I know what you mean but that's the way it usually goes on here.

If someone asks for recommendations on a good short scale bass because they have a hand or back problem so it must be short scale you know that sooner (usually rather than later) someone is going to chirp in with 'you don't want a short scale bass, what you want is this 35" scale bass'.

It wouldn't be Basschat without that. :D

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1390683775' post='2348356']
There are few things more pointless than arguing that musician A is 'better than' musician B.
[/quote]
And one of those 'more pointless things' is the spectacle of watching someone present personal opinion as solid fact.

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1390771784' post='2349392']
This thread went from a really good one to one that absolutely sucks.
[/quote]

Apologies Marcus (BTW, I hope you realise that whenever I mentioned Marcus I didn't mean you...), unfortunately I tend to get carried away with these kind of discussions. Having grown up in a household where for many years I wasn't allowed to listen to any music other than jazz because anything else wasn't 'worthy' (my dad is a 'jazz purist' - don't mention electric Miles Davis to him, he'll use words that aren't fit for tender ears) anything that smacks of musical snobbery gets my dander up. :lol: Although much of it [i]was[/i] pretty funny... ;)

I'm reminded of the last time I took a self-enforced break from Basschat and having wasted far too much energy on such things both now and in the past, I'm going to reel myself in again (except possibly in the marketplace; my powers are weak when it comes to that!). Because, as I keep having to remind myself, I actually have a life somewhere out there.

Best of luck with your Alembic-chasing and I sincerely hope you find one that works for you. If not, there's always something else... ;)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1390828947' post='2349923']
unfortunately I tend to get carried away with these kind of discussions. Having grown up in a household where for many years I wasn't allowed to listen to any music other than jazz because anything else wasn't 'worthy' (my dad is a 'jazz purist' - don't mention electric Miles Davis to him, he'll use words that aren't fit for tender ears) anything that smacks of musical snobbery gets my dander up. :lol: Although much of it [i]was[/i] pretty funny... ;)
[/quote]

Brings to mind this song ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kaOGsC1S1s

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1390824729' post='2349861']
And one of those 'more pointless things' is the spectacle of watching someone present personal opinion as solid fact.
[/quote]

Basschat is a celebration of the pointless.

Where has this idea come from that if you preface your statements with "in my opinion" then that makes you a more reasonable and balanced person ? Is this part of the National Curriculum in schools nowadays or something? Maybe if Hitler had finished all his speeches with " in my opinion " then the Second World War might have been avoided, but then again , if Winston Churchill had said "We shall fight them on the beaches... we shall never surrender ect ..in my opinion " then maybe he wouldn't have been met with such a resolute response from the British people and Hitler would have won.

Just for your information, proposing "opinions" as facts in the manner which seems to irk you so much is an established rhetorical convention , and part of what is called "presenting an argument" . The assumption behind this convention is that, if you don't have the necessary conviction in your opinions to present them as facts then you shouldn't bother presenting them at all. The spurious idea that if you preface your argument with"in my opinion" it makes you somehow more reasonable or more rational is a nonsense, wherever it has come from. In my opinion.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='marcus bell' timestamp='1390771784' post='2349392']
This thread went from a really good one to one that absolutely sucks.
[/quote]

Mark King . He's a troublemaker. And it was you who brought him into this conversation by asking about his signature model Alembic . So really , you only have yourself to blame , Marcus. :lol: