Why become a member? ×

Sunn Mustang Strat Copy ..any info ?

mike 110

My first bass was a Sunn Mustang P-bass copy. Obviously not the Strat that you're asking about, but this info might give you some kind of impression ...It was a surprisingly nice feeling bass, great neck, solid wood body. I sanded it down and found that it was three pieces of a light and relatively soft wood. These instruments were made in India. There's some kind of Fender association although I'm not sure what it is exactly. Someone will probably be along to clarify.

Thanks Fionn , it seems ok , quite heavy , even the intonation is good , surprisingly . The body has a few dings but nothing major . The wiring is terrible though , held together by sellotape in places :o . The pick guard has been painted Purple ! The pups sound ok though .

Edited by mike 110

• 2 weeks later...

If it's got a proper strat shaped headstock, and fmic printed on it somewhere it is usually pretty good, 80s, licensed by fender. My P-bass one is made of leftover proper fender bits, which weren't quite up to snuff (wood is hideous under the finish, and the micro tilt button on the neck is stuck in all to sh*te).

If it's a 90s one with the funny shape headstock, it is sadly firewood. :) Korean rather than Indian, and usually horrid.

it looks like a Strat headstock , Im no expert though ; It has Sunn in Gold lettering and Mustang in black , a funny eye shaped logo but no fmic . It has a sticker on the neck plate that says 3/90 … looks like a duffer then :( ….Doesnt sound bad for a Duffer though

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1390479350' post='2345811']
Just to help a bit, these are good

These are not so good

These are firewood.

Hope this helps.
[/quote]
Hey Thanks Dave ! :) Its the top one , woohoo ! Mine just has the small printing under the Sunn missing , nice , worth a little modding ?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1390496382' post='2346055']
very worth a little modding. My Sunn P-Bass is still my number one go to bass. Probably just cos I've had it so long, but they are very playable with a little fettling.
:)
[/quote]

Thanks Dave , thats good to know . It's not in bad nick really , pups sound ok and the neck is fine , I'll just drop one of Señor kiOgons wiring doodahs in at some point and get the Doc to make me a new pick guard and I'll be riffing away in no time :D

I've had 3 of these, all car boot specials, the dearest one cost me £28. Sold that one & really regretted it - it was the nicest-playing Strat I've owned. Guitarist in my band has one I bought water-damaged for £5, I dried it out, tidied up some peeling lacquer, re-strung it & gave him it for his birthday! He loves it & gigs it regularly. The third one is still in bits in the Bassment, awaiting rewiring & reassembly. Think it was a tenner but I don't really remember.

All of mine have been the Indian FMIC ones, and I did do some research about these. It seems Sunn Mustang was UK or EU only - in the US these are Squier IIs, and fairly sought-after. They are late 80s/early 90s and there are some interesting - but of course unsubstantiated - internet claims, including the suggestion that bodies & necks were actually Japanese-made (end of Japanese Squier production or some such tosh) and assembled in India with budget, locally-produced components. I take this with a massive pinch of salt but there is a huge difference between the excellent quality necks & solid timber bodies, and the rather ratty electronics & crumbly hardware.

On balance they are super little guitars for the money, never make more than £70-odd on Ebay and if you have one & like it, it's definitely worth hot-rodding with decent pickups electronics & hardware. Do keep the old bits if you ever intend to sell it, though.

Jon.