Why become a member? ×

Plug in Baby on a Zoom B3

geoham

Hi All,

Wonder if any of you have managed to create something on the Zoom B3 that would work with Muse's Plug in Baby? Recently been added to the band's set and want get reasonably close to the right sound. Have another 50 songs in the list and can't justify buying anything else for one track - so please don't suggest purchasing a Deep Impact!

I originally tuned down to dropped D and just used Big Muff + Flanger to give a kind of sweeping effect - but it's not quite right. I watched him play, and I'd guess he's playing an octave higher with a octave pedal to bring it back down. Sounds like a fuzz & synth would get me close, but I've not been happy with anything I've created.

So - anyone else play this song?

Thanks!

Fuzz and Octave should be good enough for the gig. I have no idea how he gets the tone he does, it certainly isn't simple and a Deep Impact wont manage it, or at least I could never get it to sound anything like.

I'll get my B3 out tomorrow and see what my settings are for that one. I've only played it once, and I think I just used a Bass Muff and a filter, that seemed to do the job. I'll have my settings posted here at lunchtime.

I think it's had a bit of studio work, but that Wolstenholme mega-fan Kaputsport gets pretty close on his YouTube vid (think it's "Muse Tones 2") and I think he uses OC-2, Big Muff and Human Gear Animato stacked through LS-2 inputs A&B, and the Akai Deep Impact.

You might struggle to get that from the B3 unfortunately. ..

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1389564687' post='2335654']
I think it's had a bit of studio work, but that Wolstenholme mega-fan Kaputsport gets pretty close on his YouTube vid (think it's "Muse Tones 2") and I think he uses OC-2, Big Muff and Human Gear Animato stacked through LS-2 inputs A&B, and the Akai Deep Impact.

You might struggle to get that from the B3 unfortunately. ..
[/quote]

See, I listened to that and I thought he was miles off, if we are talking about the same video?

I think we probably are, reckon he's only done one...I didn't think he was that far off! The nasal sound of the Animato is definitely seriously present on the original, but there's certainly the "quack" of a filter there! It's always sounded slightly like a Bassballs to me.

Edited by bakerster135

Here are my B3 settings that I used for Plug In Baby. And before I get shot down in flames for not getting it spot on and exactly like the original, I know. But, through my rig, my bass, my board and with my fingers, it was close enough for blues on the night. And it sounded great in my opinion. I didn't use an octave, but it wouldn't hurt to put one on if your normal tone is quite mid focused or twangy. Mine is fat and bassy to start with so I left the octave out. Hopefully this will be a starting point that you can tweak to suit your gear.

Effect1 - Bass Muff. Gain-55, Tone-75, Level-90, Mode-BassBoost, Balance-25.
Effect2 - M Filter. Freq-84, Sens-4, Res-5, Type-LPF, Char-2 Pole, Vel-Fast.
Effect3 - Graphic EQ, adjust as necessary.

I hope this is of some help.