Why become a member? ×

TC Electronic RH450

gsgbass

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1389105968' post='2330020']
I just added a TC Electronic RH450 to my gear mix. The Markbass Little Mark lll head I have, is now a back up head for the RH450.

[/quote]

Interesting!
I have used a RH450 since 2009, but last summer (edit: early May, actually, so technically still Spring) I bought a MB CMD121P (LMIII head in 1x12" combo version) and I''m doing the converse: I use the MarkBass as my main amp, and the RH450 is only a backup. In fact, I'm thinking of letting it go and buying an LMIII instead.

What do you prefer about the RH450?

Edited by mcnach

I had a LMIII I moved on for the RH450 - I had a Sansamp I used with the LM, and found I never switched it off: the RH450 gave me that sound without the Sansamp. I eventually ended up with a Streamliner, and that's staying. The feature set on the RH is still the most comprehensive out there, and I miss the presets, the tuner and the footswitch.

My TC Classic got moved down to spare when I got my GB Streamliner, but I took it away with me at Christmas (along with Midget and Mustang) and was reminded how great it can sound. The RH has a bit more to call on in tonal range so congrats gsgbass!

I had an RH450 about a year ago, there a bouts, and sold it to a friend who needed a road amp fast. So I went the round a bout to another RH450. The LM lll is good, I just like the setup etc., on the RH450 better. I do think enough of the LM lll to hang on to it as a back up head.
The [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MB CMD121P, an NY121 are a great amp too. [/font][/color]

[color=#1C2837][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]I ran Windy, my Fretless Jazz through the RH450 on Tuesday. A rough set in, a minute of fine tuning, SHAZAM! After comparing the settings for the RH to the LM lll, they're the same as the LM lll settings. Wednesday, Electric Lady, my Precision goes through the RH450.[/size][/font][/color]

[color=#1C2837][font=arial, verdana, tahoma, sans-serif][size=3]Thursday should be the Electric Lady pumping, and thumping through the RH450. I was planing for Electric Lady for today, but a little thing called life got in the way. Look-out Thursday, the pictures on the walls will be shaking.[/size][/font][/color]

The feature set of the RH450 is still incredible. I still can't believe they limited it so much as an amp by giving it such a natural top end roll-off. It makes it great for only a sub-set of tones. Anyone wanting a sparkling top end will be sorely disappointed. You can compensate to a certain degree with the controls, but can only go so far.

Still a great amp if you don't want that though.

The "Electric Lady", my Precision ran through the RH450. It played just as well as "Windy", the fretless Jazz did. The settings sound fine to leave them as is, for when I set it up for the Jazz. The 450 watts from the RH450, had no appreciable difference from the 500 watts from the LM lll head, for either P, or J bass. I thought this particular RH450 covered the ranges, when set that way. No drop offs of any ranges.

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1389495058' post='2334861']
The "Electric Lady", my Precision ran through the RH450. It played just as well as "Windy", the fretless Jazz did. The settings sound fine to leave them as is, for when I set it up for the Jazz. The 450 watts from the RH450, had no appreciable difference from the 500 watts from the LM lll head, for either P, or J bass. I thought this particular RH450 covered the ranges, when set that way. No drop offs of any ranges.
[/quote]

It's remarkably loud, isn't it? Even more so when you find out it's not 450W, but 236W or something like that.
(there was a bit of an issue about that, when it was disclosed by TCE... but regardless of how they achieve the loudness, it is loud. If you like the sound that's great. Some claim it's too compressed... and it clearly is... but it sounds good to me too).

I have used a RH450 for years now, unbeatable feature set! I like its natural voicing, but it's not unabashed love. To be honest, my favourite sound for my covers band still comes from my Peavey Mark III 400 amp, but it's just too big and heavy to be routinely hauled around town for practice and gigs.

The lack of brightness in the top end makes certain sounds unachievable, and that is a bit of a problem. However, I found that I could live with it, as the fundamental tone is very good for live situations.

I might change to something else int he future, but not just now :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1389957632' post='2339885']
The RH750 solves the problem with the top end btw for anyone that didn't know!
[/quote]
Think I'm going to have to try a 750, I like the sound of the 450 and the feature set is great but I do miss some top end sizzle.