Why become a member? ×

Fretless 5 GAS

Torben Hedstrøm

So... Recently moved my fretless Thumb BO Broadneck 5, as I could not really get on with the ergonomics of the thing... Leaving me only with my Dolphin Pro 1 5 Broadneck (Which after a bit of 'acquaintance' grew so much on me, that I love it to bits now ). I kind of thought I could and would be without a fretless alternative for some time, but I find myself GAS'ing for a fretless fiver still. In this country, however, the selection of bass guitars (particularly fretless ones) is somewhat limited, so even though I prefer inspecting the goods before buying, I will likely have to buy the guitar from the for sale forum here, or some other place online...

I have only owned two fretless basses until now, my Stambaugh 6 (wish I never moved that one !!) and myThumb BO... I am very much in doubt as to what to aim for. Hence I am looking for some pointers from the forum... Initial criterias are:

34" scale (mainly due to the sometimes limited availability of strings suiting >34" basses)
19-20 mm. string spacing at bridge
Narrow nut width (my Dolphin has a quite narrow nut... Very addictive !)
Preferably neck-through construction. However a very good set-neck or bolt-on might do the trick.

Sound-wise I am not really after a double-bass replica... Seeking more of a modern sound, with good snap and nice sustain. Will likely end up putting round wounds or tape wounds on it, so a nice good/hard quality fretboard would be perfect.

It doesn't have to be cheap as such, but admittedly I do have trouble spending much more than £1500 on something I have never touched :).

Any pointers from fretless players, as to what to look for will be greatly appreciated !...

Regards.

Torben

ACG Graft fretless. New one with SEQ filter preamp (they work really well with a fretless bass) yours for £1,100 + P&P.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/graft-specification/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/graft-specification/[/url]

[quote name='Torben Hedstrøm' timestamp='1388756775' post='2325653']
Can't find it :(
[/quote]
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-TRB5p-Fretless-5-string-bass-1991-Pat-Eggle-crafted-fretless-fingerboard-/291042991393?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43c3839d21

• 2 weeks later...