Why become a member? ×

Selfish Musicians

Pete Academy

Cant say I've ever been in that position but then again I don't think I would dep for anyone for few reasons

1. I don't have time to learn new sets at short notice
2. I'm probably not confident enough to ad-lib a full set these days
3. I wouldn't trust anyone enough to do it.

Kys sounds like a twat tho

Dave

Not quite the same situation but I was asked to dep in a trio and sent a 42 song set list to have a go at. On the night i think we actually played about six of them, the rest I had to busk. Problem was it was a mate and who I still play with fairly regularly but I felt I'd been truly driopped in it on th enight and I was trying to make a good impression. I can't really read chord shapes on other players in front of me as I don't play guitar and it wouldn't have been feasible on that night anyway due to the stage/lights positioning. The guy Pete's had to deal with sounds a complete tool though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1388520014' post='2323096']
That's keyboard players for you. I've worked with loads and there's definitely something wrong with 'em. ;)
[/quote]
The good ones do tend to be a bit of a strange breed!

I have done quite a few gigs in the past where the band leader tended to go off-piste like that a fair bit, but at least we all knew where we stood and that was the deal when we signed up. The material tended to be pretty straightforward stuff (mainly blues based) and there were a lot of fingers being raised in the air to indicate the next chord change, etc. It was great fun and there were not too many train wrecks – it certainly kept you on your toes! However, I’m sure that the band would have generally done better if we had kept to an actual set list…

The guitar player once called a Bob Seger track to end a first set in Burnley of all places and a punter came up to tell the drummer at half time how much he had enjoyed that particular song. He was genuinely amazed that the said drummer had absolutely no idea what the song was and had never heard it before he had started to play it that night…

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1388615724' post='2324158']
Happy new year to everyone.

I still think that keyboard player is a twat.
[/quote]

Yes, and some singers also fall into that category, they can tell you how to play almost
any instrument, But can play f**k all themselves. KB players can be odious individuals.

Changing the subject ! Great gig last night at the Robin, really enjoyed it.
Saw you at the pre gig pub but the dj sound prevented alot of what we do in pubs over
good beer, Talk, well done Pete,

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1388666737' post='2324500']
If this is the keys player I think it is, he's a pretty good busker so you wouldn't likely scare him off that easily skank. He'd be ripping it up all over whatever was being played!
[/quote]

I hate it when a plan falls apart :( :lol:

To answer the question, I'm happy to report I've never experienced this.
On the contrary I'd say. I've only encountered singers, guitarists, bassists and drummers who would not, or could not, follow me when I started playing my own songs that they'd never heard before, or when I exploded in spontaneous, enormous reworkings of the material that should have been known to them. Twats, all of them.
:D

But seriously, I have indeed not experienced it.
The keys guy from the OP seems like a twat, but OTOH he may also just have been on a totally different page.
I myself have ruined a concert piece when as a music student depping on piano, finding out too late I was expected to do advanced stuff in a style I knew zilch about. Who was the twat? The guy who ruined the piece during concert, or the guy who came hunting after me through the corridors in such a way I probably would have been lucky if loud, well worded verbal abuse was all I'd received had he caught me?
Probably neither, but we sure as hell were on different pages, and communication obviously had been lacking before I was asked to do the piece.

BTW, the twat was obviously really me, as the hunter has made more albums, and also happens to listen to the name William Scott Bruford. :D

[quote name='elcastillian' timestamp='1388835204' post='2326543']
Yes, and some singers also fall into that category, they can tell you how to play almost
any instrument, But can play f**k all themselves. KB players can be odious individuals.

Changing the subject ! Great gig last night at the Robin, really enjoyed it.
Saw you at the pre gig pub but the dj sound prevented alot of what we do in pubs over
good beer, Talk, well done Pete,
[/quote]

Thanks mate :)