Why become a member? ×

Selfish Musicians

Pete Academy

A few years ago, a guitarist I knew really well asked me if I'd stand in for a scratch band for a local pub gig. The songs were mostly soul and funk. I agreed, and as the gig was a week away, I asked for a set list. I already knew some of the songs, but as I was busy that week, I printed off chord sheets for the others.

When I got to the gig, the keyboard player, who has been a fairly successful musician in the past, barely spoke to me. We started the first set with a couple of songs I knew. Then the keyboard player launched into half a dozen songs he'd written, of which I'd never heard before. I'm not the greatest busker, and I ended up making a hash of the songs. The rest of the gig continuedwith the same scenario...more songs that weren't on the set list I'd been sent. I hated the whole experience.

Fast forward a couple of years. I was again asked to stand in for a different band, which was put together by our backing singer. I asked for a set list, which consisted of soul and funk numbers again. Guess who the keyboard player was? There were only a handful of people at the gig, and again he decided to play his own stuff, despite the fact that this time I'd actually learned the songs beforehand, spending a fair few hours doing so.

I vowed never to play with this selfish twat ever again.

If I was in the bandleader's position and needed a dep, I would do the following things:

a) Ask the dep which songs he already knew and write a set list around those.

B) Make him feel welcome at the gig.

c) Stick to that set list.

d) Not make him feel uncomfortable by playing unfamiliar songs.

d) Realise that an audience would probably pick up on his mistakes, and ruin their enjoyment of the songs.

e) Not let someone's massive ego ruin the gig.

Any thoughts on this?

if the keyboard player thinks he is that great he should play the basslines on his keyboard while he is at it he could probably cover the drums too :)
i dont know why someone would do that in all seriousness? your trying to do them a favour so the band comes across as a competent unit and he goes off on one!

Seems very odd behaviour by the keys player. Why would anyone want to be on stage playing with unprepared fellow musicians (unless it was a jam night)? And specifically playing stuff that others don't know . . . at a gig?! Very odd indeed. If he considers himself to be so good, why doesn't he just do solo gigs?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1388516994' post='2323030']
Seems very odd behaviour by the keys player. Why would anyone want to be on stage playing with unprepared fellow musicians (unless it was a jam night)? And specifically playing stuff that others don't know . . . at a gig?! Very odd indeed. If he considers himself to be so good, why doesn't he just do solo gigs?
[/quote]

Because he thought the gig was his. I get angry just thinking about him. Definitely the most selfish and arrogant musician I've ever played wit.

But even if he thought he gig was 'his', what sort of musician would want to participate in a poor performance because he springs unknown songs on the others? That's what I can't understand. Still, as the saying goes, 'there's nowt as strange as folk'.

I'd be just as angry and would also never play with him again.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1388518976' post='2323070']
Yeah, we need to know ;)
[/quote]

Possibly my post sounded harsh, but it just seems really strange to me; to be that angry about something & to then go & do exactly the same thing again.

I can understand what you're on about, but the nest gig was a good couple of years ahead. Also, it was my friend and backing singer, who assured me it would be different this time. A leopard doesn't change its spots. There were about six people in the audience, and he decided to play the worst dirgy blues ever.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1388520164' post='2323103']
My thread is about asking if other players have had this experience. Have you had s similar gig with such an egotistical musician?
[/quote]

I had this once, albeit to a much lesser degree though.

I had the last laugh though - his wife left him & he died. :)