Why become a member? ×

Prince Live.

bubinga5

I managed to get tickets for the Hydro, but a lot of people seem to have been unlucky - seems to have been a bit of pot luck whether you got the "no tickets available" message. I got the message in Firefox, but then got through straight away with Internet Explorer. I was using the TicketSoup site.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1399056413' post='2440614']
Anyone else get tickets in the ticket scramble today?
Will be my first time seeing Prince, and in the Hydro, can't wait.
[/quote]

Yup, got them for Birmingham; it took nearly an hour to get them. Can't wait to see him again. I've been a fan of his since the early days of Dirty Mind; but only first got to see him at the O2. That was the best big arena gig I've ever seen and obviously a lot different from the 3rd Eye Girl set up......looking forward to seeing the purple one rock out.

At O2 he started gig just coming on alone with his Hohner Tele, just noodling, like any of us might at home. The difference was Prince was noodling through sketches of some of the most innovatively crafted pop songs of the last 20-30 years, all of which he wrote. It was a great and very intimate way to start a giant arena gig and he somehow managed to maintain that intimacy throughout the 3 hour set, which indulged us in every configuration of his bands you can imagine. He even did a piano duet with Elton John!!!! Now I'm not a big fan of Elton, but Prince made it v cool.

Prince is probably the best musician, composer, arranger, producer in the pop field of the last 30 years IMO.....and as a guitarist he is frightening; I would so love to be able to play even a tenth as good as him.

Edited by Bassnut62

[quote name='Bassnut62' timestamp='1399185177' post='2441763']
Yup, got them for Birmingham; it took nearly an hour to get them. Can't wait to see him again. I've been a fan of his since the early days of Dirty Mind; but only first got to see him at the O2. That was the best big arena gig I've ever seen and obviously a lot different from the 3rd Eye Girl set up......looking forward to seeing the purple one rock out.

At O2 he started gig just coming on alone with his Hohner Tele, just noodling, like any of us might at home. The difference was Prince was noodling through sketches of some of the most innovatively crafted pop songs of the last 20-30 years, all of which he wrote. It was a great and very intimate way to start a giant arena gig and he somehow managed to maintain that intimacy throughout the 3 hour set, which indulged us in every configuration of his bands you can imagine. He even did a piano duet with Elton John!!!! Now I'm not a big fan of Elton, but Prince made it v cool.

Prince is probably the best musician, composer, arranger, producer in the pop field of the last 30 years IMO.....and as a guitarist he is frightening; I would so love to be able to play even a tenth as good as him.
[/quote]

yes he's a bad MF
hope you enjoy the gig

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393803279' post='2384595']
Nice review. Can you try a pub in Chelmsford or Southend next for a comparison? ;)
[/quote]

Hehehe..... As I play in most of the pubs in and around Essex.... Dire bilge for most I 'd say..... 85% of bands playing the same bloody songs at different levels of volume. Lets go out saturday night and go watch another band play Dakota, Sex on Fire or Mr Brightside. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Dammit - missed out. All the tickets are sold.

I couldn't go to the Sheps Bush gigs as I was out of the country at the time. He's at his best when he cuts loose and jams freeform with the rest of the band. The girl group is a little more rock than his shows at the Indigo club so not totally sure it would be my thing.

I'm in for the 9.30pm show. It'll be interesting to see if the teatime show finishes on time and they get everyone out...

Just seen this: https://twitter.com/TomWhitwell/status/474235221014245377/photo/1 - it looks like the queue for the first show is heading down Chalk Farm Rd and into Morrison's petrol station

Edited by toneknob

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1401960545' post='2468633']
Brilliant show last night. Setlist here: http://www.princevault.com/index.php/04_June,_2014-2 (and the earlier show, http://www.princevault.com/index.php/04_June,_2014-1).
[/quote]

I would have loved to have seen these. What were the band like? I like the idea of a more stripped back band as a change from his previous bands.

[quote name='maldy' timestamp='1402340623' post='2472455']
I would have loved to have seen these. What were the band like? I like the idea of a more stripped back band as a change from his previous bands.
[/quote]

Really good! I've seen Prince before twice, once at the O2 in 2007 during his month's tenure there, and having consulted the history books the other time was 1988 at Wembley for a Lovesexy gig, of course I was very young then.

The band was Prince on guitar and occasional keys, then the three-piece 3rd Eye Girl on guitar, bass and drums, and another keyboard player for most of the gig. Also, another keys player was clearly visible in the sound/lights desk area for the closing numbers. My favourite numbers were U Got The Look, Kiss, Sign O' The Times, Hot Thing, 1999 and some of the instrumental jams (it's a bit of a blur tbh). A criticism I've had of previous gigs is that he's likely to do just a verse and chorus of a "hit", then segue into the next song. Much less of this at the Roundhouse, in fact the only time it happened and was jarringly obvious was When Doves Cry into Sign O The Times. In fact the wife said "huh? It's all gone a bit Jive Bunny" at this point.

The bassist Ida Neilsen was just right for the band, and played the old material just right, I'm not familiar with the new stuff so can't comment. The instrumental jams later in the set were really cool, especially compared to similar at the O2 gigs which lacked dynamics and went on a bit. The opening number Let's Go Crazy was slowed down to a bluesy jam, and she did a great solo with some lovely barmy effects going on. She's also known as Bassida and Ida Funkhouser, so google around for more info. Here she is doing a demo for TC Electronics.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VKUs4lfsHs[/media]

Edited by toneknob

• 1 month later...