Why become a member? ×

Keyboard Bass or Real?

Lowender

This is in response to the Incognito track. I'm not sure if that's a key bass or a bassplayer. If it's a key bass, I give him credit for making it sound like something a bass guitar would play. If it's real bass, it's a super solid sound. So anyway...I decided to jam along with the track with a MusicMan SUB. lol And a little envelope.

Fail...........

you should have added 'metal', 'Geezer', 'Barefaced' or somesuch to get any reaction.

I think it is a good use of a MM.

FWIW, I was watching MJ's last tour rehearsal film and the guy used a MM to very good effect and also ran a
synth bass across a few tracks.
Very interesting to try and create classic synth lines on a bass...IMO
I think that is a real neat little angle to explore...

or go the whole hog and learn to play synth bass keys.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1388168655' post='2319100']
This is in response to the Incognito track. I'm not sure if that's a key bass or a bassplayer. If it's a key bass, I give him credit for making it sound like something a bass guitar would play. If it's real bass, it's a super solid sound. So anyway...I decided to jam along with the track with a MusicMan SUB. lol And a little envelope.
[/quote]

Does it matter whether its played on the bass guitar or a keyboard?

A good baseline is a good baseline irrespective of how it's been created.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1388391236' post='2321373']

Very interesting to try and create classic synth lines on a bass...IMO
I think that is a real neat little angle to explore...

or go the whole hog and learn to play synth bass keys.
[/quote]

I've had some fun this year with my 80s covers band doing the synth bass parts on Reward, Just Can't Get Enough and All Stood Still using my Status. Have to think though because I can start to drift off mid song and before you know it I've come unstuck. Next ones in the pipeline are Rip It Up (judicious use of env filter here I think) and Let's Dance.

• 1 month later...

Pretty good keyboard bass on this, IMHO. However, while this guy has some mega keyboard chops, and I think he plays the bassline very well, the bass sound is too consistent, there aren't any slides or trills, etc., that I notice. But his timing and phrasing seem excellent to my inexpert ear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC8LGx3N76c

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.