Why become a member? ×

Ashdown. MAG versus ABM

Mr Fudge

I know I've been banging on about some of this stuff on other threads. Simple question. Is the ABM markedly better than the MAG. I have the 4x10 Mag cabinet and Im getting on well with the MAG head.

Does the onboard compressor, overdrive, extra EQ, headroom make a significant difference? Also what would you buy a LM or an ABM? The superfly stuff doesnt get mentioned much. Is there something I should know?

Thanks again in anticipation of any answers ... Im getting there, and please remember that I am from West Bromwich when posting replies.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='229596' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:03 PM']I know I've been banging on about some of this stuff on other threads. Simple question. Is the ABM markedly better than the MAG. I have the 4x10 Mag cabinet and Im getting on well with the MAG head.

Does the onboard compressor, overdrive, extra EQ, headroom make a significant difference? Also what would you buy a LM or an ABM? The superfly stuff doesnt get mentioned much. Is there something I should know?

Thanks again in anticipation of any answers ... Im getting there, and please remember that I am from West Bromwich when posting replies.[/quote]

Ive also banged on about how i went from a EB to a MAG and then to a ABM and didnt like the ABM much so went on to MarkBass and apart form a brief flirtation with a GK head have been 100% delighted with the MB heads (other than no mute switch)

Loads of people love the ABM sound. It is the pro Ashdown range after all but i liked the MAG sound and found the ABM tone to be quite different. I found the ABM to sound deeper and fuller but also thought the mids were quite muffled. I missed the bass boost EQ freq that the MAG (and EB) has, around 100hz i believe and the ABM doesnt have anything around this freq.

Not tried the newer Ashdown's with the comp in them.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='229596' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:03 PM']I know I've been banging on about some of this stuff on other threads. Simple question. Is the ABM markedly better than the MAG. I have the 4x10 Mag cabinet and Im getting on well with the MAG head.

Thanks again in anticipation of any answers ... Im getting there, and please remember that I am from West Bromwich when posting replies.[/quote]

MB1. :)
I actually prefer the ABM gear to the Mag gear (the difference is British made ABM (more expensive)/MAGs made in China(cheaper price range) its all down to personal preference really.Ashdown are based in the U.K and regardless what you purchase from them,should you have a problem,theyre a phone call away and provide an excellent Customer service in my Experience. :huh:

[quote name='MB1' post='229629' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:36 PM']MB1. :)
I actually prefer the ABM gear to the Mag gear (the difference is British made ABM (more expensive)/MAGs made in China(cheaper price range) its all down to personal preference really.Ashdown are based in the U.K and regardless what you purchase from them,should you have a problem,theyre a phone call away and provide an excellent Customer service in my Experience. :huh:[/quote]

I thought the ABM's were "assembled in Britain" and not made over here. Its just the klystron's that are made over here (not that that's a problem anyway).

I think i would be happy with a ABM head if it hadn't been for the fact i just liked the MAG better, and that was as i said, the 100hz boost/EQ. I also have freq this on my SA450 and do use it a lot of the time so i guess that's my reason for likeing the SA450 over the ABM (well, the whole EQ section is better IMO but thats subjective of course)
I felt there was something missng form the ABM, and that was in to a 1210R.
Also my ABM EVOII 325 was quieter than my MAG 300, again, both in to the 1210R or MAG cab.

Where's Machine when you need him? He's also able to speak Brummie :)

ABM EQ:
Shape (Push Flat) +8dB @ 50Hz & 4kHz, -8dB @ 400Hz, filter slope - 6dB/octave
Bass +/-15dB @ 45Hz
Slider1 +/-15dB @ 110Hz
Slider 2 +/-15dB @ 340Hz
Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz
Slider 3 +/-15dB @ 1.3kHz
Slider 4 +/-15dB @ 2.6kHz
Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz shelving

MAG / EB EQ:
Deep +8dB @ 50Hz
Bass +/-15dB @ 100Hz
Lo Mid +/-15dB @ 220Hz
Middle +/-15dB @ 660Hz
Hi Mid +/-15dB @ 1.6kHz
Treble +/-15dB @ 7kHz
Bright + 10dB @ 10kHz

Hope it makes more sense to you....!

[quote name='johnnylager' post='229649' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:54 PM']Where's Machine when you need him? He's also able to speak Brummie :)

ABM EQ:

Slider1 +/-15dB @ 110Hz[/quote]

Not according to the website. there it states Slider1 +/-15dB @ 180Hz.

Im not sure whats correct though as the manual does state 110hz.

I never really measured it but to me the ABM lacked punch in this area.

[quote name='MB1' post='229672' date='Jun 30 2008, 01:16 PM']MB1. :)
My ABM is " Made in the U.K".....head up!,Shoulders back!,Lovely Boy!,Lovely Boy! :huh:[/quote]

so its an old one then.
Tthe EVOII's arent made any more, they have been replaced by the EVOIII range which is what the OP is talking about but when Ashdown changed to using the china factory for the internal bits im pretty sure they were still using the phrase "made in England" but that wasnt strickly true IIR.
I could be wrong though as its been ages since i paid Ashdown any attention.

+1 for speaking Brummie. Im from The Black Country and can't understand a word they say. I buy my childrens toys from a shop called "TOYS WE AM"

Anyway, Bass Merchant has Mark Bass SA450 and LMII both up under £500. I am tempted. Which one??? It would be going through my 4x10 Mag in the near future, or at least end of the summer.

What do you think.

Cheers.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='229752' date='Jun 30 2008, 02:52 PM']+1 for speaking Brummie. Im from The Black Country and can't understand a word they say. I buy my childrens toys from a shop called "TOYS WE AM"

Anyway, Bass Merchant has Mark Bass SA450 and LMII both up under £500. I am tempted. Which one??? It would be going through my 4x10 Mag in the near future, or at least end of the summer.

What do you think.

Cheers.[/quote]

Grab that SA450 as its a better head.
Both have the same output but the SA450 has a few more features like level control for line out, better EQ section and a pre or post EQ switch for the XLR out amonst other things.

IMO the only reason everyone talks about the LMII is because of its size. Yes it is smaller and lighter but on stage, where it counts i would go for the SA450 every time. Especially if you need to use the EQ more. The SA450 can sound the same as a LMII but not the other way around (unless both are set flat). You can get a wider variety of sounds out of the SA450.
Ive always thought the XLR in on the LMII was a waste as well. Ill never use it although i guess some people will.

By the way, i do use both but the SA450 is my head of choice, the LMII gets used with my other band that i dont gig with much.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='229596' date='Jun 30 2008, 12:03 PM']please remember that I am from West Bromwich when posting replies.[/quote]

Wow, internet in a 3rd world country :).

The MAG and ABM aren't soo similar as mentioned above. If you are happy with the MAG then keep it, if you feel you want more versatility (EQ) and a warmer tone then the ABM would suit well.

Now who ad all them fagguts and pays !?