Why become a member? ×

Identify this Bass please

BetaFunk

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1388113349' post='2318678']
Looks like something in the Ibanez Roadster family. RS824? RS924?
[/quote][quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1388130891' post='2318697']
I would agree - I'm pretty sure it's a 924, Rosewood, Fretless.
[/quote][quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1388134418' post='2318716']
It's a Roadster body, but the headstock looks not quite right - could be either a custom neck, or an early prototype...
[/quote]
Thanks for the replies. I agree about the body being an Ibanez but also agree that that headstock doesn't look quiet right.

At 2.00 in the clip below you get a better view of the bass that the Reverend Bruce Johnson is playing.

The other bass player (playing the Aria) is Melvin Gibbs. This clip was is approximately 10 years before he joined the Rollins Band.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-6jo8mzdg[/media]

P.S. It is part of the same clip as i originally posted but it seemed a bit clearer to me.

Edited by BetaFunk

I'm going to say Ibanez RS840BK with a replacement neck. It's not an Ibby headstock & it has a rosewood board with what appears to be position dots near the bottom edge - fretless Roadsters were all maple boards with no dots or lines, as far as I know.

Control layout appears to be just 4 knobs & 1 toggle, suggesting it's a passive 800 series - but it is hard to see clearly. The black body would've been a standard finish on the 840 too.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1388147666' post='2318845']
I'm going to say Ibanez RS840BK with a replacement neck. It's not an Ibby headstock & it has a rosewood board with what appears to be position dots near the bottom edge - fretless Roadsters were all maple boards with no dots or lines, as far as I know.

Control layout appears to be just 4 knobs & 1 toggle, suggesting it's a passive 800 series - but it is hard to see clearly. The black body would've been a standard finish on the 840 too.

Jon.
[/quote]
Excellent. Thanks Jon.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1388156790' post='2318962']
Great clips. The Aria was sounding pretty good too
[/quote]
Yes, i loved this band and saw them live with a couple of line-ups.

In that clip who'd have thought that the guy (Melvin Gibbs) playing the Aria bass would be in the Rollins Band 10 years later. Never saw that coming at the time.

I also saw Melvin Gibbs with the Power Tools Trio with Bill Frisell and Ronald Shannon Jackson. That was a bit of a thrash i can tell you! I saw him with Vernon Reid as well in the 90s.

Edited by BetaFunk